Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone!!!

My 2007 is going to get its rear bearings done for the third time in 6 months. This time, I'm going with Subaru parts as I'm being told the spindle sometimes doesn't take well with aftermarket bearings. This is the final attempt for this particular mechanic......Any idea why the first two would fail?

Also, the ball joints seem simple enough to change myself. Am I missing something or is it a simple fix?

Thanks lots and happy driving!

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
Two failures in six months for wheel bearings is definitely suspect. The only thing that I can see being the cause of this is improper bering pre-load...too much or not enough. Wonder if your mechanic is just reefing on the axle nuts with an impact or worse just guessing and leaving slop in there. If the issue is directly related to the bearings themselves, either you got some bad parts or some bad luck. The OEM bearings will at least rule out the supposed spindle, aftermarket bearing question.

The ball joints can sometimes be a bit frustrating, but aren't too tough of a job. You will need a ball joint press which can usually be rented from most auto parts stores, a hammer, and maybe a large pry bar.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
454 Posts
The service manual is very specific on tightening the axle nuts when replacing wheel bearings. It states to never set the car on its weight until you torque them. This is hard to do with 1 person since you need someone to hold the brake while its getting torqued.
Other than that, I think your mechanic is inept

·
Registered
2007 Forester manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you! Snow3d, forgive me for questioning your advice. I was thinking it was a one bolt out and swap them situation, not a press situation. If I need a press, what kind am I after?

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
454 Posts
As a second thought here... There are a lot of seals and wiper-rings and c-clips in there designed to keep everything out of the bearings. If these aren't being replaced with every wheel bearing then money is just getting thrown away. Those are the only things standing between your bearings and all the water, snow, mud, sand, etc. getting in there. And those seals are incredibly cheap.

For the ball joints, be prepared with penetrating oil, hammers and pry bars to get them out. They are not difficult to replace, but sometimes (especially you Northern cars) they get a little stuck in their homes.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
You should seriously think about getting new hubs. If I had to guess, the old hubs are ruined because on inept pressing of the bearings.

There is nothing wrong with aftermarket bearings - Timken tapered roller bearings are the industry standard and they fit just fine in Subaru hubs. But, they have to be pressed in properly after the old bearings were removed properly. Anything short of this will distort the hubs and/or damage the new bearings, so that they fail prematurely. Once distorted, the hubs are shot - not recoverable.

While some folks like small portable bearing removal/insertion tools, my preference is to remove the hubs and take them to a professional clutch & joint shot or automotive machine shop. Locally, the go-to place is Dayton Clutch & Joint - been pressing bearings since 1956! I'm sure there is a similar shop near you. When it comes to pressing bearings, Clint Eastwood summed it up nicely: "A man's got to know his limitations".

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
This is like the third "i've gone through 3 bearings in 3 months" threads. Interesting.

The balljoints are moderately simple until you break the head off the pinch bolt because its corroded in place. Know how to deal with that and/or have a spare knuckle handy.

Company 23 makes a little balljoint removal tool. Is worth a look. Sometimes after hammering on something for 3 hours you say that $70 would have it been worth it for a tool that could pop it out in 30 seconds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts