Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FORESTER XT AUTOMATIC
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me to decide, which one is better suited for daily driving, performance, and durability. I live in a salt-zone like maine, so rusting is an issue.. They cost almost the same price...

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
DD and durability goes to the kybs. "performance" the bcs take handsdown.

but jeez talk about two complete opposites sides of the spectrum...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Yeah, apples and oranges comparison. Tokico D Specs and springs are a better comparison and probably the best compromise for your needs.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yeah, apples and oranges comparison. Tokico D Specs and springs are a better comparison and probably the best compromise for your needs.
+1.

The swifts with KYB will be a tighter, but OEM like ride, a little below stock STI. The bc's will be very stiff, not much travel, and won't be the most long lasting. Tokico HP or D-specs, or koni inserts, along with a good spring will probably be the best combination of performance and ride quality.

Cheaper coilovers like the BC or megan racing, tein etc will give you good handling due to being stiff, and will lower the car, but won't do much else for you. Something like the AST, TiC, or pss9 coilovers will give you decent ride quality along with great handling, but they're all $$$.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
My KYB GR2's are showing lil orange spots around the welds, so I would keep that in mind. As some have mentioned...get tokico/d-specs,koni's,etc...as a nice compromise between the two.

For the price BC's aren't a bad option...and as a beginner C/O. But rust is one thing to keep in mind in salty zones.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
My KYB GR2's are showing lil orange spots around the welds, so I would keep that in mind. As some have mentioned...get tokico/d-specs,koni's,etc...as a nice compromise between the two.

For the price BC's aren't a bad option...and as a beginner C/O. But rust is one thing to keep in mind in salty zones.
They'll all rust unfortunately. However with coilovers, all the adjustments will likely freeze up due to rust.

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
357 Posts
why does everyone keep suggesting stuff that is not available to foresters? can you make them fit or something? I'm specifically interested in the PSS9 for FXT 2004...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Uumm... yeah they fit but they're Impreza specific. I had the Bilsteins on my '04 XT. Nice compromise for track/street.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT Rinspeed manual 5 speed
739 Posts
Good to know that the GR2 rust, i live in austria where salt is also an issue!

So i´ll get them painted with branto korrux (anti rust paint which is used on construction site vehicles and boats)

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT 6spd/8spd/Many Gears CVT
1,532 Posts
Just like what everyone has said. Swifts and KYB are great for daily driver but if you want performance then you will have to take another step up.

We have had quite a few customers change out their other coilovers for our own AST spec'd shocks and springs and people have been loving them.

Gary

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Just like what everyone has said. Swifts and KYB are great for daily driver but if you want performance then you will have to take another step up.

We have had quite a few customers change out their other coilovers for our own AST spec'd shocks and springs and people have been loving them.

Gary
MORE INFO ON THE ASTs! do you guys offer custom valving and spring rates in the <2k range? im in the market now for coils, and i was leaning towards the RCE t0s, or the ast 4100s from another vendor. glad to know there are other options out there.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
04 sti or any ~02-07 wrx
+1.

http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make='SUBARU'&model='Impreza WRX'&year='2004'

any issues whatsoever using the WRX specific coilover install in a forester?
You'll need '02-'03 rear top hats or the washer mod. Make sure you reuse the conical washer under the front top hat like stock. Also a set of camber bolts for the rear will allow you dial in/out camber.

That and your car will feel slower...

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT
42 Posts
I have the PSS9's with wrx rear tophats and the conical washers in front but still a clunking noise, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I'd try hitting the top nut with an air ratchet first. If that doesn't do it then I suggest a dry fit without the spring to see if you need to add a washer under the nut. Sometimes the top hat sits below the last threads allowing play even though the top nut is torqued down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts