Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 L
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of any bay area shops that work on foresters? has any one had experience with any. GST is a good shop in hayward but its too far and im not sure if they work on foresters.

any help?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
LIC Motorsports in Novato. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Stan

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
Any decent shop can do that work. I wouldn't drive all the way to LIC to have that done. Friend of mine who has owned WRXes (and have worked on many Subarus) in the past manages a shop in Mountain View, if you don't have a shop you trust in SJ.

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
658 Posts
Or you can do it all yourself. Those are all manageable. I would guesstimate it would take no longer than 2-3 hours. The hardest part is probably the shifter bushings.

If I had some free time, I'd offer my place to install all that. But I will be pretty swamped this weekend.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Just stay away from Auto HQ in Redwood City... at least I wouldn't trust their capabilities again after they messed up something as simple as a sensor replacement.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
I was getting my Motul from them, because they were so close. Jackie on the other hand, ships me the same oil for $7 less than what A HQ charged.
Damn not looking good for them. LIC can ya move closer to RWC?
Glad LIC is open on Saturdays.

Just stay away from Auto HQ in Redwood City... at least I wouldn't trust their capabilities again after they messed up something as simple as a sensor replacement.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Catback is easy, we can do it in my garage if you want.

Stan

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
If gst is too far then lic is way too far! I love gst! and the lic guys are great also !!! and just so youknow that gst's customer service does not suck! I will let mike work on my car any time he wants !!!
GST rocks!

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT
457 Posts
Hey sorry to bump a dead thread but I was wondering where you guys would recommend for basic labor? I need to have my turbo replaced. I just bought the 04 XT and the turbo blew on the way to tahoe. I went to diablo Subaru and with essentially no testing confirmed it was the turbo. I ordered a used td04 through eBay but I'm hesitant to go back to the original dealer to have them do the labor. It's a used car lot in San Jose and I just don't feel comfortable that the mechanic their will do all the necessary things like removing the oil screens and banjo bolts or scrubbing the oil pan or changing gaskets. He offered the labor for free which is nice but I was wondering a few things?
1: is this something I can do? I have literally no car knowledge although I have a few buddies who are mechanics in Palo alto and I'm sure I could convince them to help for an 18pk!
2: without forking over 300 bucks for a diagnostic to the dealer is there a better way to confirm the diagnosis?
3: anyone know of a good shop in the bay area?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
09 Forester Limited
183 Posts
+1 on Garage One on Almaden Road. If you have to use a dealer for anything I would suggest a run to Subaru Santa Cruz. Ask for Mark Shulz, he's a good guy.

·
Registered
2006 FAXT 5mt
525 Posts
what kind of short throw do you have? and the cat back i can have done in under 30 min if you have all the parts. i installed a subaru short throw on mine in a hour maybe less. and i'll sell you kart boy shifter bushings too cheap. in sj

·
Registered
2006 forester xt 5speed
836 Posts
i know its a drive (i drive over a hour 2 get there) but paul @ DBtuned is the man and he owns a pretty sweey foz :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT
457 Posts
Installation?

what kind of short throw do you have? and the cat back i can have done in under 30 min if you have all the parts. i installed a subaru short throw on mine in a hour maybe less. and i'll sell you kart boy shifter bushings too cheap. in sj
I don't have a manual so no short throw and what parts do I need to replace the catback?

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
658 Posts
There's GST in Hayward, or else you could check LIC in Novato. Give Mike at GST a call and see what he can do for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts