Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5xt Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some nice trails to explore. Anyone in the Bay area wants to go off roading? I have not done anything yet to my ride but going to lift my Outback.

Mike

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R 5 EAT
478 Posts
I would look for a used copy of Massey's Northern California trails book on ebay. I have the one for Southern California, which I have not yet used, and those for UT/CO/AZ which I have used a lot. He also published books that cover smaller areas (like coastal or desert). Unfortunately, the guides are pretty old now and not very reliable for the irregularly maintained trails but I have found them still mostly spot on for the regularly maintained roads and trails. I would stay away from the rival Wells guides, which are newer but much more Wrangler/truck oriented.

·
Registered
2007 Lexus GX470
1,952 Posts
You can get that book for $25 new on Amazon.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/California-Trails-Northern-Sierra-Region/dp/1930193238/ref=nav_signin?ie=UTF8&qid=1512761814&sr=8-1&keywords=masseys+northern+california+trails+book&[/ame]

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT
49 Posts
Reviving an old thread.

I'm from Sunnyvale and have been researching the trails around here. Knoxville Road is a good area for our cars -- seems like relatively easy trails around there. I'm planning to head there tomorrow actually with my wife and dogs I'll post a trip report after!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking for some nice trails to explore. Anyone in the Bay area wants to go off roading? I have not done anything yet to my ride but going to lift my Outback.

Mike
Check out Kings range up near mendocino county. I wish I was still up north, would for sure take another trip up there. Near the lost coast, has some great coastal trails that are perfect for your foz

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can also look around on AllTrails. Not quite Bay area but up around Redding/Shasta there are endless forest roads to explore, and some of the more popular ones are on AllTrails. NorCal AllTrails with OHV filter selected
Yes! This is another great suggestion, trinity national forest is beautiful. Last time I was there with my XT I stumbled upon a wildflower meadow with wild horses!

·
Registered
2006 Forester
19 Posts
Buzzard Lagoon Rd in Santa Cruz Mountains, although it's more dirt bike oriented from my reading.
Dirt roads off Highway 1 in Big Sur (Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, Plaskett Creek Ridge Road)
Hollister

I've been wanting to do some light off-roading but no sidewall protection on these Falkens.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
14 Posts
Yes! This is another great suggestion, trinity national forest is beautiful. Last time I was there with my XT I stumbled upon a wildflower meadow with wild horses!
Just remember that a lot of the areas up here were very badly damaged in the fires in 2018 so your luck may vary. More than once this past summer I found myself having to turn around in less-than-ideal situations. But the reward is worth the trouble!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just remember that a lot of the areas up here were very badly damaged in the fires in 2018 so your luck may vary. More than once this past summer I found myself having to turn around in less-than-ideal situations. But the reward is worth the trouble!
Awwww man, I completely forgot about that. Good call. Such a gem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts