Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Limited
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought another subaru! :woohoo:

found a 97 impreza outback sport that looked nice, but was noted as having overheating problems. after driving the car 8 miles, i knew what was wrong.

so... haggled down a price and took it home.

needs a few parts and a good cleaning. *past smokers car*

going to take out the carpet and clean it via car was tonight.
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
headgaskets I assume?
looks pretty decent, what are your plans?
maybe, although it's a 2.2L so less obvious. looks like it is in quite good shape, now why don't those show up around me? lol

*past smokers car* - I had one of those once, It was a winter car so I filled it with air fresheners and closed it up for the summer.. :biggrin: eventually it did go away, took a few really good cleanings though.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
maybe, although it's a 2.2L so less obvious. looks like it is in quite good shape, now why don't those show up around me? lol

*past smokers car* - I had one of those once, It was a winter car so I filled it with air fresheners and closed it up for the summer.. :biggrin: eventually it did go away, took a few really good cleanings though.
well that leaves a few other rad-related issues then (ie. thermostat)
get yourself one of those air freshener tins and leave it sealed up for a couple weeks in the sun. It'll soak up the ciggi-butt scent pretty good.

·
Registered
14 Limited
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there were 2 things wrong with the car.

1. thermostat was installed backwards
2. wrong radiator cap.

the cap was correct spec for the radiator, however it could be removed by spinning it with your pinkey finger. bought a new cap and found that the Oriley's cap was identical. going to buy one from subaru in hopes it fits correctly.

washed things a bit last night. removed the seats, then the carpet and took the carpet to the car wash to "clean" it. i think there were 3 cans of soda that ran out of the carpet from washing it!

also found a hole in the rear floor board of the drivers side. looks like the car high-centered on a rock. going to cut a metal plate tonight and add some tar to seal it.

washed under the hood yesterday too. 2 cans of degreaser and things are looking much nicer.

have an electrical gremlin! running lights dont want to turn off. removal of key, multiple flips of the switch and other attempts have left me puzzled. disconnected the battery for the time being. let the carpet dry over night and will look at the electrics tonight or this weekend. might be the switch going in the steering column.

the car has a good amount of wind noise when above 50mph. i think i might try the plastic tube fix that worked on my wives forester. for a few dollars, its worth trying! i'll let ya know if it works!

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
Kewl ride. Good job cleaning her up.
Now she'll get some respect. : )

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
washed things a bit last night. removed the seats, then the carpet and took the carpet to the car wash to "clean" it. i think there were 3 cans of soda that ran out of the carpet from washing it!

have an electrical gremlin! running lights dont want to turn off. removal of key, multiple flips of the switch and other attempts have left me puzzled. disconnected the battery for the time being. let the carpet dry over night and will look at the electrics tonight or this weekend. might be the switch going in the steering column.

Any chance the Outback has a similar "battery kill switch" A.K.A. parking lights switch as does the Forester, on top of the steering column that could have been accidently switched on while cleaning?

·
Registered
14 Limited
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any chance the Outback has a similar "battery kill switch" A.K.A. parking lights switch as does the Forester, on top of the steering column that could have been accidently switched on while cleaning?
that was it.

when cleaning, i turned it on. searched for almost 1 hour before realizing what the switch was for, and turned it off to find the fix.

ran the car around 1400 miles since buying it. still doing good!
this little car is fun, but not nearly as nice as the wives forester.

·
Registered
14 Limited
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and now the drivers side head gasket blows....

time for a few goodies to be added during the rebuild!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts