Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester 5 MT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
A little introduction about myself. Name is Chris. Awhile back I sold my Chrysler Pacifica and was really looking for a Subaru. I had purchased a Subaru in the past and really wanted to get back in the "family."
Here is a picture of my old Subaru:

So now onto the Battle Wagon. After months of searching for an XT and coming up short I found a somewhat local Forester S. I am from Central Wisconsin so a little drive was no problem with me. Here is the for sale thread from Tenchu:
The sale thread

So went and did a little test drive and fell in love. It had the pull, and the modifications were very tasteful to pretty much what I would do anyhow.

Got it home and had ran into one problem, got a CEL light..I knew whatever it was couldnt have been that bad. Luckily I was right :

. Waited about a week or so to get an oil change done and when I went to the car the next morning there was a huge puddle on the ground! :censored:

Cardboard was just to see if there were any leaks and that is what I saw...so first thing I did was check the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug gaskets. Everything seemed dry. So I put the new ones in....

Then reinstalling...this happened!!!

So seeing as I do not have the tools to fix that...and thank goodness it was in an easy accessible place I took it to the dealer to get fixed. 200 dollars later I had the threads removed and a new bolt and all the oil was cleaned up.

After that little fiasco I found a deal on some STI seats..I couldnt pass up the deal so I grabbed em.

And for 20 more bucks I got the e-brake assembly out of the same vehicle. Matched my Momo shift knob perfectly.

Since my bumpers were messed up I decided to pick some up for cheap at a local salvage yard. They were the gray color so I went and bought black plastidip and went on a spray frenzy. Unfortunately I didnt clean them properly and ran out of dip so they arent completely finished :evilatyou:

Here you can see the bad job on my side panels..still need to pickup more. I am just that short on funds at the moment

Then I decided to throw a tablet in the car...after some chopping of the original trim I finally got it to where I like it.

And here it is installed into the dash...I got the wrinkles out now so it looks better! Just need to get a Nexus 7 on the cheap now :woohoo:

Then just last weekend I decided to wash her all up

And that is all for now! Hopefully not to long of a start, but I will be updating this periodically as things go on. Don't really have to many plans for this thing. Just do the body work and a respray and go from there.
Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Looks good. And thankfully a new foz owner is carrying on the legacy with posting here on the SF forums. Nice impreza too.

·
Registered
98 Forester 5 MT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to sell it for family reasons. It just wasn't practical, but I only lost 100 bucks on the car when I sold it :) I wish I would have kept it. It was a very fun car!

·
Registered
98 Forester 5 MT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys figured I'd do a little update. Basically my goal of this thread is to share my ideas and work with you. At the same time keeping an log of everything I have done.
I do have a list I would like to complete. Such as:
-All around LED conversion. I have a excellent source for LED strips and am thinking of trying those for rear brake light as well as safety for the winter that is coming.
-Replace the blown speakers in the car. I just purchased some Alpine Type R components. Should be a wonderful upgrade to sound.
Next weekend I am pulling the motor and replacing my front axles. Should be a fun project and figure out where this oil is coming from.
After all that I want to get the fuel filler neck done. Then comes the body work...oohh the bodywork. Luckily I have access to a paint gun and everything else needed to do the job.

·
Registered
98 Forester 5 MT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well guys this afternoon a friend and I will be pulling the motor. Hopefully everything goes smooth since the motor was pulled before I dont expect any issues. Hopefully I will be able to snap some pics and share with everyone!

·
Registered
98 Forester 5 MT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woohoo got the motor pulled last weekend. Found out some horrifying things to say the least. I'll post pics when I can. Then winter mode is getting engaged :) stay tuned!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts