Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Forester Touring 2.5
43 Posts
Ive used batteries plus X2 agm batteries in several cars and trucks with no problems. The group 35 is 740 CCA. I’ll put one in the forester when I need one. They appear in pictures to be identical to North Star batteries which get very good reviews. I don’t see anything on operating temperature range but they have a 60 month full replacement warranty, not prorated but full replacement for 5 years so I’ll take my chances for the extra power agm batteries provide. One other advantage is they are sealed so no more battery post corrosion to clean up.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
865 Posts
I guess it's saying that AGM is best used as auxiliary batteries; I have AGM's as aux batteries in both my cars but I won't use them under the hood. The Foz aux battery sits in the rear passenger foot well and and I have 2 mounted in the tub of my Triton ute.
I have now been using AGM batteries in my 2001 FOZ for the 8 years. The last AGM battery lasted 5.5 years, and the current one is 2 years old. Prior to using AGM batteries, I was using the stand FLA(Flood Lead Acid) batteries and none of them lasted more than 3 years!!! This is due to the heat(40C) here in Texas, which always kills FLA all the time. Very rare to see cars with dead batteries in the in winter, usually see dead batteries during the summer!!!! Heat kills FLA.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i
1 Posts
X2 AGM 27f

Ive used batteries plus X2 agm batteries in several cars and trucks with no problems. The group 35 is 740 CCA. I’ll put one in the forester when I need one. They appear in pictures to be identical to North Star batteries which get very good reviews. I don’t see anything on operating temperature range but they have a 60 month full replacement warranty, not prorated but full replacement for 5 years so I’ll take my chances for the extra power agm batteries provide. One other advantage is they are sealed so no more battery post corrosion to clean up.
I use a 50L ARB fridge for adventure camping. I put a 27F Diehard Platinum in my FJ Cruiser back in 2012. Five years later, it will still run the fridge for almost 4 days without starting the truck. I just purchased an X2 AGM 27F and shoehorned it into my 2018 Forester. It's quite a bit longer than the Group 35, but seems to match in height and width. There is about 1.5-2 inches of clearance between the motor and the battery, so as long as I don't break a motor mount or a battery tie-down, I think I'll be okay. If I run into any issues, I'll be sure to post my findings in this forum.

By the way, the money I am saving in gas is funding my Forester upgrades. My 2007 FJ gets 16 mpg (on premium fuel) where as my Forester is getting 31.5 mpg on regular gas. I can't believe how much I am saving in gas!

·
Contributor
2014 Forester - Limited CVT
254 Posts
After 3 years with the OEM battery I installed an Exide FP-AGM35 Automotive AGM Battery in my 2014 Forester. Now she turns over like she should on the sub zero mornings that are all too common in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
182 Posts
After 3 years with the OEM battery I installed an Exide FP-AGM35 Automotive AGM Battery in my 2014 Forester. Now she turns over like she should on the sub zero mornings that are all too common in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Any issues so far with the battery in the engine bay with all that heat? Supposedly AGM batteries don't like heat?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
668 Posts
So far so good we had some high-90 days and mine outputs 14.1 v running paired with an XT alternator. Duralast Platinum AGM.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
239 Posts
The OEM battery in my 2009 Forester would go dead if the car was parked for more than three days. After having to be rescued for the third time, I went to Sears and told them, "I want the best battery you have that will fit in this car." They installed a DieHard Platinum. It cost $260.00 in 2009. The same battery is still going strong.

·
Registered
15 XT Premium high torque CVT
138 Posts
Well since this was resurrected

ODYSSEY battery - Design Advantages
xtreme temperature tolerant
Operating temperatures from -40°C (-40°F) to 45°C (113ºF), for models without a metal jacket, and from -40ºC (-40ºF) to 80ºC (176ºF) for models with a metal jacket.

and odyssey batteries are 20% off right now. Code SEMA2017

Props to this guy on bitog for posting it
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4559990/odyssey_battery_20__promo#Post4559990

Sale through 11-14-17
Well, for the Odyssey model 35-PC1400 recommended for the Forester, the operating temperature is -40F to 176F, so heat is actually not a problem for these AGM batteries.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts