Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very new TYC alternator (upgraded turbo alt) and a newish battery. About three times now my battery light had been lit after starting. This isn't in the morning, but after I've been driving around town. All three times I've testing the voltage with torque and it's been spot on 13.8-14ish. The light does NOT go off if I rev or drive the car, but does go off if I turn off the car and turn it back on. I've had it tested at parts store chain A-ok. What's the deal-i-o? I hate to blame it on the alternator... but TYC is sh$t. I had hoped it would last at LEAST 50,000k and not 5k...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,952 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,952 Posts
The fuse, FB-22, fuse #14 feeds:
FB-22 load:
Combination meter
High beam relay
Daytime running light relay
Clock
If the +12V on that fuse was iffy, then those other circuits would also have issues.

If the battery voltage is reading above 12.6V, it's charging, so there would be... should be +12V present on the alternator [1], so the battery charge light would be out.

As to troubleshooting, you'd need to measure [1] for +12V when the battery charge light was lit. This poses a problem, as you'd have to figure out a way to open that wire, [1] on the alternator, so you could measure for +12V from the alternator. You can't just bridge that wire [1], as you'd read +12V coming from FB-22, fuse #14.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2006 Forester X 5 speed
33 Posts
Have you still got both engine ground straps present and in good shape? There should be one going from each head to the chassis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts