Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery keeps dying. Dealers says battery and alternator are fine. I'm going to the dealer to check if something is draining the battery. It's happening a couple of times a week now.

So my questions at the moment are:
- Does leaving a phone or GPS cable in the lighter on accessory plug in the front console put a drain on the battery? It appears that they are not live when the engine is off.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,214 Posts
I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

What's your battery voltage after it's sit awhile? Have you checked the current drawn from the battery when everything is turned off? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
My battery keeps dying. Dealers says battery and alternator are fine. I'm going to the dealer to check if something is draining the battery. It's happening a couple of times a week now. So my questions at the moment are: - Does leaving a phone or GPS cable in the lighter on accessory plug in the front console put a drain on the battery? It appears that they are not live when the engine is off.
The 12v lighter socket is switched, so leaving an accessory plugged in should make no difference. At least on my 2006, that applies to the 12v socket in the dash console and the 12v socket under the armrest. And, while there are some small parasitic battery drains from devices that really don't turn completely off, they should not matter.

You have a 2010 vehicle, so your battery is probably original. Normally, batteries last more than 3-4 years, but you're far enough into the life span of the battery to at least be suspicious.

Try this: First, remove both battery cables and clean the cables/posts - make 'em shine. If the battery has removable caps, check the water level and top-up as necessary. Then, charge the battery overnight... nice slow charge... batteries really seem to like that.

Finally, drive by a battery shop and have them do a discharge test. The battery should easily pass. If there is any doubt, bite the bullet and get a new battery.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
Batt drain

Other members have run their batteries down by accidently leaving the map or rear hatch lights on. You will also drain it by leaving the keys in the ignition switch even when the switch is off.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
Other members have run their batteries down by accidently leaving the map or rear hatch lights on. You will also drain it by leaving the keys in the ignition switch even when the switch is off.
Yes, but these power drains are more than parasitic electronics.

FWIW, I've inadvertently left my map light on for several days and the battery still started the car. A good battery can stand a lot of mischief. A bad battery is . . . a bad battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts