Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Premium 2.5 auto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left our 2 mo old at the Milwaukee airport for 8 days. When we got back on the 1st the battery was as dead as a doornail. I may have not closed the rear hatch properly - not sure, but as I understand this light will go off after 20 minutes or so.

Was it too cold and coupled with all the electronics which still need to be powered enough to drain the battery?

As an aside also found there is no easy way to open the rear hatch without power. It can be done but it is very inconvenient. We had to load the luggage through one of the back doors.

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,151 Posts
Parasistic draw

Check to see if there is electrical current above 1 amp leaving the battery. I would have the dealer do this. If there is more than 1 amp going out, your battery will go dead. You might do what I do when I park my Forester for long periods of time. I purchase a very easy to use battery switch and turn it off before I leave.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
No juice?

You should actually check whether the hatch light has a timer or not.
In my 2011, only the dome light has a 20 minute timer; not the hatch, map or door lights.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Mine isn't timed, either. If you find yourself not latching the the hatch on a regular basis, turn the trunk light off and only turn it on when you open the hatch, then turn it off again before closing. Cumbersome, but better than a run-down battery.

BTW, the problem is pretty much eliminated if you replace all the interior lighting with LEDs. The current draw is so small you could probably leave all the interior lights on all night without having an effect upon the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts