Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 LTD w/eyesight
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out the pathetic stock Panasonic battery (470 CCA) with an Walmart Everstart Maxx 35N (640 CCA).
I used a memory keeper from Canadian Tire to keep all my electronic stored settings.

First the battery.
On starting the engine cold the first time with the new battery, it seemed like the starter turned over the engine twice as fast as the old battery did.

Next, the memory keeper.
I connected the memory keeper exactly as the instructions said.
As soon as the male plug from the keeper was plugged into the OBD female receptacle, the red light on the keeper illuminated, telling me that the keeper was connected properly to the car.
After changing the battery, I disconnected the keeper and started the engine.
Some weird behaviour ensued.
Yes, the engine cranked over much faster, but it took an extra few seconds for the engine to fire and run.
Hmmm. Then I noticed that my clock was screwy, my triple gauge setting and all other displays defaulted to factory initial settings, and the HVAC readouts were messed up.
I also tested the front power windows, and sure enough their one touch up and down function was gone.
I was pissed that the keeper didn't do its job.
Then with the engine idling I proceeded to reset all my customizations, including the clock.
As I scrolled through all the customizable settings, I realized they did not default back to factory settings, but were exactly as they were before the battery change.
Also, all my radio presets were still displayed.
So in the end, I had to reset my clock, triple gauge display, HVAC settings, and re-initialize both front power windows.

When I went to drive the car, the first thing I noticed was that the sensitive and jumpy accelerator pedal was not sensitive and jumpy anymore.
That was a good thing!

So my point here is that I think the memory keeper did its job, but perhaps the way the Forester is designed, some of the electronics keep their memory and some don't.

If anyone has used a memory keeper on changing a battery, what results did you get?

·
Registered
2018 LTD w/eyesight
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do that next time. It will be much easier, and no settings will be lost.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,904 Posts
Other than that, I do love Canadian Tire. It's a Must Go place whenever we visit our daughter and family in Edmonton.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
423 Posts
I was just wondering what size of dc supply I'd need to hook up to keep things alive if I ever have to disconnect the battery. I guess it wouldn't need to be that big because the vehicle battery needs to be able to start the car after the system has been sitting for ... weeks, and it can't be discharged. I'd guess the current is in the mA range, so hooking up a supply capable of a couple amps should be good enough, but I've never looked at the current. Maybe it spikes here and there as the computer does something, and the dc supply would have to be able to power whatever is going on.

With older cars (eg 2007 Forester) I never gave disconnecting the battery a second thought. At worst I'd have to reset a clock and maybe some radio stations or something.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
228 Posts
@Botnik , It’s in the milliamp range. Less than 70 mA is spec for the 19s. There’s also an evap emission self test that happens maybe 20 minutes after ignition off. Don’t know how much current it draws but you can hear a little pump chugging away for a few minutes if you’re in a quiet place. Certainly talking amps, not milliamps.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,005 Posts
I changed my battery last month with the same one. Everstart
I just swapped the batteries out like I would have in a 1978 “any car”.
No changes whatsoever to my settings.
I think you guys are overthinking this.

I have a 17’ Touring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I still maintain if you want to get the max out of your battery you need to keep it on a minder if you don't drive it regularly, esp. if you don't keep it in a heated garage.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Before I even installed mine I put it on a Battery Tender trickle charger.
It charged for several hours, 8 maybe, before it was fully charged.

·
Registered
2018 LTD w/eyesight
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just swapped the batteries out like I would have in a 1978 “any car”.
No changes whatsoever to my settings.
I think you guys are overthinking this.
Nothing to overthink.
I reported my objective observations; no conclusions drawn.
Do you think I'm making this up that my Forester lost settings on a battery change, even with a memory keeper?
Maybe you had no personalized settings, in which case you would have noticed nothing different .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did a little research. There are 2 types of "memory" sticks. 1. You plug into "OBD" port. (attach 12volt power source).
2. Unit plugs into "cigarette/power accessory " port, with a 9 volt battery attached.

I just purchased the #2, unit. Off of Amazon. Lots of good reviews. Plan to give it a try next month. Using a 9 volt battery
seems much easier.

Oh, the purpose of the memory saver, is not only to save your radio/clock presets. But your "engine" driving memory.
Also, on some newer cars, if you do not save "memory", You have to enter "special" codes, to be allowed to reset.

If you lost these, a trip to the Dealer, becomes necessary.
:mad:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Nothing to overthink.
I reported my objective observations; no conclusions drawn.
Do you think I'm making this up that my Forester lost settings on a battery change, even with a memory keeper?
Maybe you had no personalized settings, in which case you would have noticed nothing different .
Of course I do. Ive owned it for almost 4 years.
Never lost one bit of my personal settings and that’s my objective observation. Lol

·
Registered
423 Posts
It’s in the milliamp range. Less than 70 mA is spec for the 19s. There’s also an evap emission self test that happens maybe 20 minutes after ignition off. Don’t know how much current it draws but you can hear a little pump chugging away for a few minutes if you’re in a quiet place. Certainly talking amps, not milliamps.
Thanks, that's helpful. I don't know how big that pump is, or what kind of surge it draws. I guess in several years I'll have to figure out whether it's easier to hook up a dc supply (or another small battery or whatever) while I change the ignition battery, or just do whatever the relearn procedure is.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Never lost one bit of my personal settings and that’s my objective observation. Lol
There's nothing to overthink. In the old days, something like idle speed was adjusted by turning a screw, and a spring-loaded part would rest against the end of the screw, which would set how open a valve was, which would set the idle speed. These days there are sensors and actuators everywhere, and they can get rid of manual settings like the screw, and just let the computer run through a bit of a calibration, because there will be some manufacturing tolerances from car to car.

I have never read anything about the idle relearn procedure (but will in several years) so I don't know how much there is to it, and whether it involves anything more (or how much more) than idle speed. The manufacturing tolerances on any specific car could be such that the car idles at close to desired value, without doing the procedure.

It's not a big deal either way. Either you hook up a dc supply, or you do whatever computer procedure needs to be done, or you just replace the battery without doing anything. I'll at least read the procedure. :) Hopefully I'll find it from a service manual page that someone has posted or something.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,967 Posts
I did a little research. There are 2 types of "memory" sticks. 1. You plug into "OBD" port. (attach 12volt power source).
2. Unit plugs into "cigarette/power accessory " port, with a 9 volt battery attached.

I just purchased the #2, unit. Off of Amazon. Lots of good reviews. Plan to give it a try next month. Using a 9 volt battery
seems much easier. <snipped>
Make sure the "cigarette/power accessory " port is energized... has 12V on it when the ignition switch is OFF. If it's dead, no 12V, placing that plug in 9 volt battery won't be connected to the 12V battery so it's not going to be providing backup power.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,967 Posts
@Botnik that is true!

I use a 12V battery connected to the 12V outlet in the cargo area to back feed 12V power to the vehicle system. I modified that 12V outlet for constant power, so it's always connected to the 12V engine battery.

If you do this, you have to remember the +12V engine battery cable is energized, even when it's lifted off the battery post! Touch the 12V engine battery cable to ground... the frame & you will have sparks!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts