Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand what the difference between Cobb base and realtime maps are.

I have read all of the documentation on their site and I am having trouble with this concept.

Could someone please explain this to me in easy to understand terms?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Realtime maps change only certain parameters and can be applied as you are driving. I have 3 versions of my custom maps, only difference being throttle sensitivity -- I can switch between those maps while I'm driving. Saved fuel trims stay as-is, and the car does not have to re-learn anything. Once you restart the car, it will go back to whatever map was flashed to the ECU previously.

When you are re-flashing, the engine has to be off and any learned parameters will get wiped.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
base map - The map that you use as your "base" map to flash your ECU. This map will most likely be your main map unless you do some other upgrades, say from stage 1 to stage 2. This map is stored on the ECU and will stay even if the battery is disconnected from the car.

realtime map - These maps are used to switch maps on the fly. Say you are running a 30R turbo kit daily on 91 octane, but you also take your car to the races with race fuel. You can have a realtime map for the race fuel and switch to it only when you are racing with such fuel. This map will not remain if the battery is disconnected from the car.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Also, these 3 custom maps I have aren't any different from the OTS maps in a sense that I can flash them to the ECU permanently (what you are calling "base"). But, they are compatible with each other to be used in real-time as well. So, I can flash the map with least sensitive throttle control on my ECU permanently, it will remain there if I disconnect the battery. If I'm driving and want twitchier throttle, I just flash one of the more sensitive maps realtime without stopping, then once I turn off the car it goes back to the least sensitive map.

I've never tried, but I don't think I can flash from OTS to one of my custom maps in realtime.

Stan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts