Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Anyone had any long term issues removing this filter. Not the two at the avcs solenoid but the banjo on the passenger side head. When mine was removed there was quite a bit of garbage so i just removed completely based off the info I found from tsb's and the idle smoothed out dramatically after the oil flush. The idle just seems a little low at temperature occasionally.
SO...haha any problems on your side?

·
Registered
2003 Cross Sports
821 Posts
I removed mine probably 2 years ago and no issues yet. I believe it depends on the type of turbo you have as some require the restriction the filter provides

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reponse assuming it's 03 wrx because it's written in white out. But so far so good I'm going to leave it thanks again

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure if anyone is still interested but after removal, dramatic increase in idle quality and performance accross the board. My car has a little less than 170,000 miles so it may be possible that the additional pressure cleared out some build-up? but definitely worth it for me

·
Registered
04 Forester xt
45 Posts
So your saying it works alot better now? I just got an 04 xt and i was going to remove the screen to.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
375 Posts
Going on 2 years on mine with 0 issues after having removed the screen.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah it runs better for me. I'm sure it had to do with the incredible mileage on mine though, cleared the avc codes and now I'm on to other things haha.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,665 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Tanks!
Do you think its best to remove the turbo filter or not?
It's everyone's own personal opinion really (on the turbo ones that is, get rid of the AVCS ones). You have to draw your own conclusions.

Everyone seems to agree on one of two approaches.

1) Replace/clean filter at regular intervals (some do 30k miles, some 15k) (also what Subaru recommends).

2) Remove them altogether.

Nobody likes option 3, not doing anything.

Personally, when I hit 60k miles, I'm going to take it out. With them out though I feel that running an oil filter that has the correct bypass pressure rating (23 psid) is even more necessary.

Edited to add:
I forgot to add one other hybrid approach that I'm starting to consider as well. Replace at 15k intervals, but if it is clean then remove the filter. The logic being that if you remove it and there is sludge you should change up the oil and filter you've been using to something better. If it's still pretty clean, then everything upstream is working as it should and your maintenance schedule is up to snuff and you can remove it. I'll probably have the parts on hand when I pull the banjo bolt and make the decision on which way I am going right then and there.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Some folks told me the TD04 had no banjo filter...
Nope, it's there unless someone has removed it, but it's not at the turbo end, it's at the cylinder head end of the oil line.
The banjo bolt with filter part number is 14445AA090

Here's a picture of the SG Forester XTs that show you where the filter is.

Item 5, on the back side of the right cylinder head.

Here's the TSB on it.
http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/02-106-08.pdf
You can see from the Applicability line that this applies to your TD04.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts