Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been trying to chase down the source of this noise coming from the back of my car. It's a banging noise, like if a spare tire was not secured in place. It happens going over rough roads. I don't think it's the struts -- I've taken them out numerous times and they feel fine, besides it sounds further back than the strut towers, maybe closer to the passenger side.

As troubleshooting steps, I've taken out the spare and removed the subframe bolts -- no change. I have not tried disconnecting the sway bar yet, that may be my next step. Do you guys have any ideas or tips? Could it be a bad bushing or mount? I've been thinking of doing some new bushings anyway, haven't investigated which ones yet though.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Stan

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
I have this too. Light metal on metal crashing noise. I need to find time to diagnose this. My sway bars and endlinks are tight (besides, if they were loose, they would clunk). I don't think tophats would loosen and start making this sound would they?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I'm 100% certain it is your sway bar or endlinks. What setup are you running?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt it's the tophats -- I've had those things off/on/swapped so many times I'd notice if they were loose. I can't completely eliminate struts and tophats yet, but it sounds more like it's further back. It's kind of a thud, not really clacking. Maybe the gate isn't closing tight?

I'm thinking subframe or something like that but I don't know what to start with down there.

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Everytiem I've ran aftermarket swaybars in the back I get banging noises. Tre36 had the same issue. It goes away when th emount bushing are greased really well, but it always seems to come back. I think the hard aftermarket bushings bind up sometimes and then suddenly release with a loud "thud".

Tre36 and I have never got the noise with the STi bar.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh, I suppose I'll disconnect the bar and see if the noise goes away.

I'm 100% certain it is your sway bar or endlinks. What setup are you running?
Cusco 22mm 3-way adjustable bar, currently on tightest setting. KB endlinks, some aftermarket bar mounts. Bar's been on for 3 years/55K miles.

Stan

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Liftgate latch, maybe?

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Bar's been on for 3 years/55K miles.

Stan

^^^ I guess it's time to inspect & re grease the bushings, huh?

The wagon handles nicely and comfortable, too. It would be ashamed to have to lose some of that composure because of this.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be the latch, how do I fix that? I can try driving around with the gate up, but that's kind of dangerous.

I'll disconnect the bar tonight and report back. It does handle pretty decent considering the soft and tall wagon springs. I think next upgrades on the list will be various bushings -- getting close to 60K and I'm sure I could benefit from those.

Stan

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
You should come over sometime and I'll sit in the cargo area while you drive down our bumpy road. That way I could tell you exactly where it's coming from. If it's the latch, there is an adjustment procedure. Maybe it's in the service manual... I'd have to look. Both of our cars have tailgate noises as well and I want them fixed at some point.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds good, I'll come over. I'll bring back the wagon springs -- I got my own set. They are actually working out alright, Souky went for a ride yesterday and thought it was okay.

Stan

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Hmmm.. I have teflon tape between the bushing and the bar.. I'll try greasing again.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New swaybar bushings are under $20, I may go that route if they mine are old and crusty.

Stan

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
That sounds good, I'll come over. I'll bring back the wagon springs -- I got my own set. They are actually working out alright, Souky went for a ride yesterday and thought it was okay.

Stan
Thanks for taking my cripple butt for the demo ride. Nice and neutral handling. No understeer detected. *The merry go round was fun*

And we didn't get any love from those Imprezas, did we...

"Wave, damn you!" :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would love to find a large empty parking lot where we can set up our own autox-style course and spin around in circles for a few hours. Always wanted to do that! Autox event would be cool to attend as a group as well, but we wouldn't get much driving time.

Yeah, I'm pretty much done waving to other Subaru drivers now, it's pathetic.

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I may have found the source of the banging. Rear sway bar bushings aren't holding the bar right, with the endlinks disconnected I can move the bar quite a bit, I bet that's what's making the noise. Time to spend $20 on the new bushings you recon?

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Neoshi is The Man!

I got some teflon tape, took the rear bar and the mounts off, cleaned the parts of the bar where the mounts hold it and wrapped those spots in teflon tape. I applied some engine building grease that I had around (with Moly lube) to all contacts areas of the mounts, bolted the bar back up and viola -- no more banging noise!

Car finally feels so much nicer! I feel like I finally tweaked my setup to be a good compromise of good handling and comfortable ride, so I'm pretty happy with it (at least for now).

Stan

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Ah ha nice. I think I get the sound because the guy I bought the bar from gave me broken bushings, which I need to replace this weekend IF I get a chance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts