Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today is finally the ball joint day. I had to drill out the bolt holding in place. That is out and fine now. The nut on the bottom came off no problem, and I was able to get the ball joint out of the control arm no problem. Now I can't get the joint out of the knuckle. Any suggestions on how to get it out.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
411 Posts
had the same problem. read a horror story of cracking the knuckle by prying on the wedge that holds the ball joint. bought two knuckles and bearings. knuckles are about $100 a piece if i recall correctly. a press is necessary to press the hub out/in, bearings into new knuckle. harbor freight has some inexpensive ones (12 ton is what i used) if you have the space/desire for one. as long as the hub's not chewed up by worn bearings, you can reuse the originals. good luck!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already done rear bearings, so I kinda know what I'm getting into there. I still haven't given up of trying to save this knuckle yet. In case I destroy it tomorrow, does anyone know what years are interchangable? Need to start looking on ebay now.

·
Registered
03 x
384 Posts
the easiest way to remove the balljoint is to leave it attached to the lower control arm. then using a large ratchet strap connect the two lower control arms together and pull the strap tight. using a block of hardwood and a large hammer knock the control arm down on the side that the ball joint is to be removed. you will be surprised at how easily it pops out of the knucle

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely brilliant, I'll try it tomorrow. I think mine's too far gone though. I just broke off the bolt holding on the caliper bracket too.

·
Registered
03 x
384 Posts
the bolt is threaded into the caliper bracket so you should be able to take that off and have the broken bolt removed with some heat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts