Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Cruise O Matic
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever had a problem with balancing??? I bought my Cooper Discoverer AT3's back in May and they've never been smooth. I've had them rebalanced 3 times already. I spoke with my local Discount Tire, since they are a Cooper dealer, and they said they would inspect them and start any kind of warranty work if need be. This is crazy!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,919 Posts
Could be your wheel is out of balance. Also could be their machine. Even if the tire is defective a dynamic balance should correct it.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
New tires should take no more than a certain amount of wheel weights to bring them into balance. This "certain weight" is all over the place depending on where you find the information, anywhere from 1.5 oz, to 4 oz total.

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
Some tires are Completely "out of round" and weren't molded right. I'm not sure exactly how often this happens but i've been fortunate enough to have this happen twice to me. Once on a set of cheap no name sporty tires and once on a set of toyo proxes. It seems to be fairly common.

The other issue could be with the person balancing them. Some idiots will put the weights on off center from where the machine tells them and then keep trying to compensate for it with a mountain of weights that never ends up right. If they screw up the placement they should take them back off and start over. Instead sometimes they settle for "a little off" which will get worse as the tire wears.

Ask them to check and make sure the tire isn't out of round. Theres a certain imbalance tolerance that they shouldn't even try to correct for. If it's past that point before they put the weights on you just need a new tire.

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
Roadforce the tire. Most tire shops should understand that :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts