Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ford Fiesta.... 5-mt!
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been here much since I had to let the FXT go... Missed sf.org, so I figured I'd give an update to show what I'm toying with now!

In September my sister returned my 2003 Subaru Baja to me since she acquired an '08 Impreza for herself. She's been borrowing it from me for the past 2 years while I had the FXT.
Unfortunately it came back in pretty sad shape... I got it back with worn tires, bad battery and alternator, bad harness, worn brakes, and 180K miles!
I took $1K to bring the old girl back up to code... So

Just turned 186,000 miles! I have big plans for my little truck. Now that it is back up to "code", I can focus on the toys...
I have 4 KC day-lighter off road lights sitting in the living room! After that I will start planning and executing my custom front bumper.
Long term plans are to have the bed and cladding sprayed with Line-X, (or I might just go with a Herculiner roll on liner to save $$$). When the little 4 banger lets go, (or should I say "if"), I'm planning to transplant in a 3.0/3.6 H-6 from an Outback. If monies allow, I will also convert it to manual trans. Already on the lookout for a donor car.
Here is a sketch of what I am planning.... Enjoy!

I know it sounds ambitious, but I am a technician, so I can do all the work myself!

(My dealer just got a 2003 Baja in the same yellow as mine, but with a manual trans! I am thinking of working out a trade... Don't know if I can put a price on the sentimental value though...)

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
if only i had known.................my mom just wrecked her outback with................you guessed it a H6

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Yeah, I'll be in the H6 boat too when my Outback's 251 dies. 149k now, so it'll be a while. Should be a pretty straightforward swap though, I think, since that engine was offered in the Outback from '01+.

Wonder if the 01+ H6 4EAT ECU would be plug and play with my '00.

Love the sketches. Always liked the Baja!

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
I'm not gonna lie, for the longest time the XT Baja was my dream car...

How can you NOT like it?

Love the sketches man.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,963 Posts
Sweet, not show us some real photos!
Good luck with the project. A serious lifted Baja would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
Yeah, I'll be in the H6 boat too when my Outback's 251 dies. 149k now, so it'll be a while. Should be a pretty straightforward swap though, I think, since that engine was offered in the Outback from '01+.

Wonder if the 01+ H6 4EAT ECU would be plug and play with my '00.

Love the sketches. Always liked the Baja!
I think it actually MIGHT swap. The chassis didn't change, so it's likely the chassis harness didn't change.

You'll need to run the H6 bulkhead wiring through the firewall and splice the harness, but it should all bolt up.

Slow will have to go through the same process.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Watch out for the fuel lines like on the bugeyes! A guy here had a baja that used to get rallyx'ed until it burst into flames one day. Now I see maybe 1 baja a year.

Would be awesome to see one that was fitted up like the original baja concept.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,017 Posts
Hmmm, I'm driving a Baja this week while my parents are out of town. Yellow '03 5MT
It'd be pretty sweet to drop an H6 in there... too bad the heads were weird on the early EZ30's and only had the single exhaust port.

oh, and just so you know... the 17" wheels from the 06+ FXT's look awesome on the yellow two-toned models!
- http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/Duderotomy12/Baja/IMG_1117.jpg
- http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/Duderotomy12/Baja/IMG_1119.jpg
- http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/Duderotomy12/Baja/IMG_1123.jpg

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
My wifey absolutely adores the Bajas, I wish I had the money to get her one (I really enjoy them too)!

Sadly they get more and more expensive as they are rare...

Looking good!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
I've always had a soft spot for the Baja... Saw a gorgeous, black turbo Baja today!

Keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the day off on Friday, so I will try to get some pics. Calling for 12-22" of snow, so I don't know how much of the car will be visible!:icon_eek:

I think my fuel pump or something is starting to go though... Car suddenly started hesitating on acceleration today. Pretty easy to duplicate as well. I just hope it will last till my tax check comes...

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Unfortunately, no. I don't have the money or time now to do the swap + harness merge and still have a little shakedown time before college.

Maybe some other time. :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took some pictures! Thank you Copenhagen for the beautiful scenery....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts