1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2000
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hallo to all of the forum's followers.
I write to plead for advice on my oncoming purchase of a Subaru Forester
I intend to purchase a Subaru Forester for my vacation home in Eleuthera-Bahamas.
In the Bahamas, people import cars direcltly from Japan since in the country cars drives on the left like JAPAN.
I have found some great deals on a web site called "japanese vehicles dot com"

Please, post me with the most info possible to direct me to make the right choice.
The problem is that once on the island, there will not be up to date machanics and assistance, so I need something 100% dependable and durable.
I will be forever thankful.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is an entire section on this forum for individuals in Asian countries regarding the Japanese domestic market vehicles. That would be a good place to post up this question.

Asia - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

And there may be individuals from other European countries that have already done something similar, so they may be able to provide some guidance and tips.

Europe - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Generally speaking, it seems like the model year 2004 through 2006 (specifically MY 2004 and 2005) would be the vehicle for you to first look at. They don't have any significant mechanical issues and you could probably find a reasonably low mileage vehicle at a decent price that would be economical to import.

It would also be advisable to purchase a repair manual for the vehicle that you do get. Foresters are fairly easy to work on for most routine maintenance. You'll be able to save yourself some time, money, and trouble if you perform as much of your own maintenance work as possible.

Good luck. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2000 2000
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the immediate and kind reply.
What about 1998 - 2000 cc - turbo - petrol models.
What is the feed back on those ones?
The used vehicles Japanese market has some excellent prices on those ones. Those year make that you've pointed out to me get a little out of reach once I've done pay freight and import taxes.
I will appreciate any expert comment about it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
Thanks for the immediate and kind reply.
What about 1998 - 2000 cc - turbo - petrol models.
What is the feed back on those ones?
The used vehicles Japanese market has some excellent prices on those ones. Those year make that you've pointed out to me get a little out of reach once I've done pay freight and import taxes.
I will appreciate any expert comment about it.
Thanks.
The pre-2003 models have head gasket issues, at least for the 2.5L engines. If the head gasket hasn't already been fixed, any cost savings will vanish quickly if you have to have that service performed on the island. Mechanically speaking, the 2004-2006 model year vehicles seem to be the most mechanically sound. It may be more cost up front, but later maintenance and operation costs should offset. I have an early 2004 model (acquired new in November 2003) and it's just now having it's first mechanical failure - a small intermittent coolant leak apparently from a joint where plastic meets metal. Otherwise I've only performed regular and preventative maintenance until up to this point.

If you are referring to a vehicle with the 2.0L engine, you'll probably get a faster answer asking in the Europe forum as the 2.0L hasn't been available in the USA market Foresters since 1999, if it was ever an option on the Forester in these parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts