Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear the tell-tale sounds of an exhaust leak when driving my wife's 02 Fozzy. I have not yet crawled underneath to see if I can spot the hole. Initial impression is that it's about half way back.

Is there some exhaust components on these cars that corrode out faster than others? I pray to God it isn't the cat assembly, those are way expensive.

I'm thinking that if it's after the cats, it might just be cheaper to go to the local muffler shop and just have the guy replace the section that's bad wit some pipe he bends up there on the spot since the custom factory stuff is so pricey. I was looking on rockauto.com and those custom fit assemblies ain't cheap.

Any comments/guidance? Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
I just had a leak in the weld between the pipe to the cat and the resonator. My shop chopped out the resonator, replaced it with a piece of pipe, and I was only out $50. I think this type of link is fairly common, so cross your fingers it isn't something more expensive. My .02...I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at replacement costs for the various components. I was shocked at how expensive those bloody resonators are. Basically they're an empty chamber like a glasspack without the packing. Over $100. An aftermarket glasspack muffler would be cheaper.

My wife drives the Fozzy and she likes things nice and quiet. I wish my Outback was louder, I can't hear the engine at all when it's running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts