Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring CVT
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting frustrated. Bought General RT43 tires from dealership 11-2017 and it's now almost 9-2019. I have about 20k miles on these and both the dealer and my mechanic agree they need to be replaced.

When I asked dealer about this was his reply after affirming I've done nothing wrong: "Doing some research on the General warranty, we can’t file a claim with them until the tire tread reaches 2/32nds of an inch remaining. So, unfortunately, we will have to leave the tires on there for a bit longer to be able to file a claim and have any coverage."

I'm pretty sure that these came with Subaru 24-Month Tire Protection Plan which covers
  • 24-Month Tire Protection*
  • Covers tire replacement or repair*
Anyone else gotten bad tires and dealt with this kind of thing? I really don't want to wait until these tires wear out anymore. Plus up until now we dug this dealership...

·
Registered
2010 Forester A
24 Posts
My experience with anything surrounding tires and warranties, is that outside of catastrophic failure, the warranty isn't worth a cracker. They are just part of the marketing plan and very few tires get warrantied because the tires don't last like they should, even though they also mileage guarantees all over their ads. There will always be some clause, or fine print item that they'll pull to avoid actually offering warranty. What do the asterisks beside each of those points mean? I wish you luck...

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,494 Posts
Buying tires at a dealer = bad idea.
Lousy selection and overpriced are two good reasons to buy elsewhere..

If you buy a set at Discount Tire, you get an ACTUAL warranty for pro-rated mileage, so if they wear out early, you get a refund and you don't get the typical dealership crap you experienced.
They also provide free flat repair, free tire rotation and balancing and they offer a great road hazard warranty at a modest cost which I've used LOTS of times.
At the dealer...
Do I really need to answer that?
You will end up spending twice what you paid for the tires getting "serviced" at the dealership.

Have I ever had problems with tires - Yes.
Where - At the dealership.
Why - They suck.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
297 Posts
Buying tires at a dealer = bad idea.
Lousy selection and overpriced are two good reasons to buy elsewhere..
Obviously your dealer gouges you and provides no service, this hardly a universal situation. My Subaru dealer consistently beats the best price on TireRack, sells all the same tires, free rotations, and delivers if a real issue comes up. Find a new dealer

Buying cheap tires invites premature/uneven wear, and 20,000 miles is about all I expect from General, Sumitomo, ect...

OP, what is the reason they need replacing? Can't balance, uneven wear, just worn out? Hard for anyone to compare your issue to theirs without actually describing your issue. 'Bad' tires could mean a lot of things

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,494 Posts
@asphaltaddict33 - I doubt that your dealer is typical. I've never seen a dealer that did free rotations.
How about free balancing and flat repair? If so, that's great, but does your advice work for anyone else?
What if you are a thousand miles away? Myself, I can go to any Discount tire and I get the same service, even tire replacement on warranty. Is another Subaru dealer going to give you the same deal?
Obviously not if you go to the OP's, and not at any of the local dealers here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts