Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems i have the dreaded gasket leak under boost issue. :tissue: First thing I tried was the hydrocarbon test: negative.Secondly, I purged the cooling system. Didn't work.

MY FXT has all the right symptoms: black residue in overflow tank, occasional overheating, bubbles in overflow tank after spirited driving, and pushing coolant into the overflow tank.

My tuner said it's making enough power to stretch the head studs allowing for the leak. The gasket may be intact. Regardless of the actual part that failed, the engine needs to be pulled. Now I have an excuse to buy more parts....

Here's the shopping list

3mm Grimmspeed Phenolic Spacers
Grimmspeed Ported Intake Manifolds
Grimmspeed TGV Deletes
Grimmspeed Ported Throttle Body
ARP Studs
Cosworth Head Gasket
Koyo Radiator
Cobb Big MAF

Follwoing the install a new tune is called for. Hopefully I can make a bit more power.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
410 Posts
well, yes and no. you're not "just" at 20g power levels when you add e85. although, e85 helps a lot with detonation prevention, i'd hate for you to have to remove the engine more than once. it may be just me, since i did it solo in a garage not much bigger than the car itself, but i sure as hell don't want to do it again in those conditions. :)

* the forged pistons would be insurance. running e85, detonation is suppressed greatly and you may never crack a ringland or you may crack one sooner.

* the cams would probably yield more power than the grimmspeed mods you mentioned (combined), but that's not to say the grimmspeed mods aren't worth it.

* the bearings are another insurance option, but only if you were cracking the block for the pistons (some racing bearings as opposed to oem).

assess the clutch: may be a good time for something with more clamping power if your oem (assuming) is on its way out.

cusco mounts are nice to have and easy to install with the block out.

higher flow oil pump (no need for cosworth, but maybe an 11mm STi pump wouldn't be bad - stock is 10mm).

that's all i can think of at the moment. having the engine out was a big deal to me, so when i suggest this that or the other, it's only because i personally wouldn't want to have to pull it any more times than necessary.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

So my tuner opened up the engine and as I expected it, the gaskets were fine. Definitely the bolts stretching. I also gave in with the recommendation about forged pistons (from forum members and the tuner). Next week it should be ready for the tune...I can't wait. :banana:

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
as much of an investment as it would while the heads are off, the time is perfect for cams and headwork. pistons would be nice insurance as well. do these things now and you are all ready to get rid of that silly little 20g whenever u are ready

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
well glad to hear things are underway with the repairs.
do it right the first time, and if you have ANY chance of wanting more down the road... do the extra work now to make things quick and easy down the road.
Doesn't Dave (Integrity Performance/Defiant Autospeed) do head porting just up in Dallas?
Prepare things today if you've got any plans for tomorrow.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally go the FXT back. I can't ride it too hard so I can't comment on butt dyno results but luckily I have a real dyno sheet. I'm pretty amazed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts