Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Premium 2.5i CVT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a pretty bad rattle from there moonroof (when closed)? I found a thread for older models having this problem, but just interested if I am the only one having this problem in a 14.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
I don't have a moon roof rattle, but mine seems to be coming from the panel that houses the ES cameras. When I put pressure on the panel with my palm the rattle disappears. I'll get it looked at when I got for OC#1

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Auto
95 Posts
Anyone else have a pretty bad rattle from there moonroof (when closed)? I found a thread for older models having this problem, but just interested if I am the only one having this problem in a 14.
I have the same issue now but it comes and goes. How did you end up fixing your problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited Automatic CVT
2 Posts
I also have a 2014 forester, and I get a rattle when the roof is closed every now and then. As soon as I touch the deflector the rattling disappears. If anyone has a fix or was able to take it in for repair to solve the problem please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 2.5i CVT
73 Posts
In my '14 I'm picking up a gentle rattle from what I originally thought was the front passenger door - possibly the window - but over the past couple of days I started suspecting the moonroof. This makes it more suspect. I'll keep listening.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
73 Posts
For the moonroof rattle: I've found you can sort of demonstrate the rattle with the car parked. Open the cover for the moonroof, reach up to the air deflector & very gently "pluck" the middle of the deflector - it gives a small version of the rattle. Probably will be useful for clueing in the service dept without driving the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow we must be luckey....our only interior problem would be the rear hatch being temperamental much like the '12.
I have that too - but I believe it's related to the cargo tray shifting backward a bit and/or using a one a rear bumper protector (that's velcro-ed down to the floor underneath the cargo tray.) When I make sure the neither of things is in the way, then it closes fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So an update: I took my '14 Premium to the dealer for the mat recall replacements (I'll save the results of that that separate string) and asked them to look at the sunroof rattle. I was happy that they were able to reproduce it - and told me they would contact Subaru; later in the day they called to say that they'd like me to bring the car back in and so they can make a video of the rattle to send to Subaru. The dealer said they assumed that Subaru asked for the video because they believe it's impacting other vehicles. The dealer is supposed to call me when they have a loaner car, so they can have my car for the day. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
...they'd like me to bring the car back in and so they can make a video of the rattle to send to Subaru. The dealer said they assumed that Subaru asked for the video because they believe it's impacting other vehicles...
So the dealer gave me a dealer loaner today ('13 Outback - nice vehicle) and the shot the video of the moon roof rattle and are sending it off to Subaru central. You can thank me later for being the guinea pig :icon_wink:

(Also got them to take pictures of the rear quarter panel window weatherstirpping that's beginning to peel, but that's a separate thread.)

I'll continue to post here as I learn more.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
109 Posts
I have a rattle in my moonroof as well. I've spent some time trying to isolate it and it seems to be coming from the small spring coiled around the wind deflector retaining pin on the left side of the wind deflector. Oddly enough I'm not noticing it from the right side spring.

These are the springs that work to hold the wind deflector in an upright position when the moon roof is open. Mine had a small amount of clear lubricant on each of the springs. If I repeatedly gently push and release the wind deflector near this spring I get a small snapping/clicking noise nearly every time I push. It sounds identical to the noise that I notice when my moon roof is open. My guess is that the small bumps in the road make this wind deflector move a bit causing this snapping sound from the spring each time it moves.

I tried adding some additional silicone lubricant on, around and under this spring and also tried to work some into the plastic hinge secured with the retaining pin that the spring is coiled around. It seemed to help some, but it still makes a snapping/clicking noise most times when I push on the wind deflector near the spring.

I'd be curious to know if others who are having trouble with moon roof rattles can repeat this observation or if my noise source is unique.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
3 Posts
I suppose, it is a fairly common issue, because my 2014 Forester XT is also having this problem. And took me a while to narrow it down to the moonroof deflector.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So the dealer gave me a dealer loaner today ('13 Outback - nice vehicle) and the shot the video of the moon roof rattle and are sending it off to Subaru central. You can thank me later for being the guinea pig :icon_wink:

(Also got them to take pictures of the rear quarter panel window weatherstirpping that's beginning to peel, but that's a separate thread.)

I'll continue to post here as I learn more.
So I forgot to get back to this post - but Subaru basically responded by saying this was normal for this model. :icon_frown: I had greater expectations of Subaru.

I'll give them credit for taking an "interest" in the problem - which is more than I can say with many issues I've had with previous brands. Nonetheless, I'm disappointed - and I have to listen to the stupid rattle.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
18 Posts
Same problem here.

Rattle sound coming from moonroof.
I confirm it's from the reflector.

The problem seem to only happen when the "plastic moonroof top" is open AND the moonroof window is close.

Very annoying.. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same problem here.

Rattle sound coming from moonroof.
I confirm it's from the reflector.

The problem seem to only happen when the "plastic moonroof top" is open AND the moonroof window is close.

Very annoying.. :icon_frown:
Chicopower-
I agree it's the reflector/deflector or whatever it's called. I actually find that it rattles pretty regularly - with expansion joints and similar ridges/bumps bringing it out the most.

I'd say it's more muffled when the moonroof cover is drawn closed, but it's there all the time IMHO.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.