Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello,
so the story is that me and my friend were stuck in a snowy road, we tried to get the car out, tried to reverse and suddenly the gear was popping back into the neutral, when added up some rpm. It went ok forward. Then it stopped working. So whatever gear you take (1,R) it doesn't go anywhere. I think it's the clutch burned, but are there some other reasons why it doesn't go?

·
Registered
1999 Forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
someone?
ok, how do I get to the clutch? What do I have to remove?

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
to get to the clutch you have to disconnect the driveshaft (aka propshaft) and the front axle shafts... then unbolt the transmission and pull it away from the engine.

If it'd popping out of gear though you may have bent or broken something, or worse... broken the input shaft.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
The exhaust had to be removed first too ...

if you burnt the clutch up, you would know it - it smells very bad, like burnt broccoli or something. worse than overheated brakes. you also would have likely seen a little smoke if you burnt it very badly.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I didn't know about the smell, my other friends came to help and one of them said that it is the clutch that smells. So probably it's the clutch I have to change.
Someone know where to find diagrams, pics from other experiences on removing the clutch, i've seen only one here in the forums, but are there more?
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1999 Forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh another question, if something is bent there will the car be able to move?

·
Registered
1999 Forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, can someone link some resources where I can find info about clutch removal/change - diagrams, pics, videos, manuals?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1999 Forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone here from Latvia, just wanted to ask some good part shops near Jelgava...
and can someone link some resources where I can find info about clutch removal/change - diagrams, pics, videos, manuals?

·
Registered
1999 Forester
112 Posts
You're welcome. Depending on mileage and pending work on your car, you can either pull the transmission or the engine to gain access to the clutch. Many feel it's much easier to pull the engine, in which case replacing head gaskets, timing belt, etc. would be much easier. On the other hand, if your the front seal on your rear differential is leaking or you need to do other drivetrain work, removing the tranny may make the most sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts