Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, on my way home from work noticed temp was going up hit maybe 102 deg but wasnt running round usual 87deg. so when i got home popped the engine and bubbles in the header tank! and to confirm my hunch heater blowing stone cold...........

What a f£cker, just get the car right and bollocks........ now my big issue is misses is off work and has been for nearly 2 yrs with kids. how much is it going to cost to sort out the head gaskets?

anyone any ideas? as im absolutely gutted and i dont have money for 2k bill!!

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Oh no!

Really sorry to see this Simon. It's not a cheap job on a boxer engine, but I guess it will depend on the extent of the damage, so the work needed.

What an utter swine!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,781 Posts
So sorry to hear that. Wifelets XT HGS went last year. Ivan @ Foresters did it for £800.

He is in the West Midlands, where are you loctated?

Cheers

AM

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that Big Mac, im in manchester. im supposed to off on my hols in a fortnight!!

At least £800 aint to bad, hope thats all thats gone!

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
Pm sent, and I have another cunning plan if that doesn't work for you.

ATVB

AM

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti 6 MT
727 Posts
8 or 900 is what I have heard also but that is prob the minimum.
The increasing cost is mainly due to"since I've got the engine out..."
New clutch, all new belts, new gaskets everywhere it really adds up quickly.

For instance i had a tiny perforation in my sump so new sump, engine out job so..new clutch (why not!) , new belts some new gaskets pretty soon I am over a grand and I think less than a third of the price was labour!

So you will need to have restraint and agree up front what needs replacing otherwise it will add up very quickly

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
Just sent third Pm from this poxy Blackberry my Company insist is cutting edge.

Maybe in Kardistan!

ATVB

Am

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Hi Simon,

Gutted for you. Depending on the price you could pick one up for, but how about swapping your engine out for 2nd hand lump and then do the build you we talking about doing yourself over the winter on your current one.

Once the work is done and the rebuilt engine is in the car, you could sell the temporary engine on.

Engine swap is pretty simple on the scale of things, especially compared to the work you've already done. Can easily be done on the drive too.

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im in the spot were the car is worth a couple of grand if that, and im possibly looking at that in repairs!

going to have a ring round tomorrow to see what the damage is! had a quick look round would be looking at 2.5k if i was going forged.

I really want to keep her, but ive got a family to come first so il have to see what the damage is. I cant imagine driving anything else though!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts