Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Forester 2.5 non-turbo has a front end vibration. I was driving 55 mph uphill and when I had to steer right the vibration smoothed out until I started going straight again. Bad CV joint? Which side? Also, my Forester has 135,000
mile on it, & I use 0 w 20 Mobile Synthetic. I'm using at least a quart of oil every 500 miles. I can't find any leaks (bottom of engine is dry) and I don't seem to be burning it, (no oil smoke from the exhaust). Thanks for your help. dougrsub

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
My 2012 Forester 2.5 non-turbo has a front end vibration. I was driving 55 mph uphill and when I had to steer right the vibration smoothed out until I started going straight again. Bad CV joint? Which side?
Bad CV joints make noise. The vibration is probably some else. You might take a hard look at your front tires (both sides, check wheel balance, wear spots on the tires). Look at your rims (if steel, are they bent or damaged, chips or other damage?)

Jack up one side of the car (tire off the ground), grab that tire at 3:00 and 9:00 and shake it vigorously. Any play or looseness in the steering linkage?

Another test: in a parking lot, have someone else drive the car slowly, while you walk along side. Turn to one side, then the other. You should be able to hear a bad CV joint.

Also, my Forester has 135,000 mile on it, & I use 0 w 20 Mobile Synthetic. I'm using at least a quart of oil every 500 miles. I can't find any leaks (bottom of engine is dry) and I don't seem to be burning it, (no oil smoke from the exhaust). Thanks for your help. dougrsub
The oil is going somewhere, right? First, get a consistent means of measuring oil usage. For example, drive into your garage, wait 10-30 minutes, check the oil level. Add oil as necessary. Note the results, any additions, etc. in a log book. If your driving habits are inconsistent - 2 weeks on the highway, or nothing but around-town driving) note that as well. Knowing how much oil you are really using and under what circumstances is very important.

Have you removed the under-engine cover? If not, do so. You don't really know what's leaking (or not) with that cover in place.

You might try a different brand of oil. I use Mobil-1 but I think it is on the thin side. Try Castrol Syntech or some other brand - see if that helps.

At your mileage, you could switch to 0w-30 oil. If you use your car on the highway or for longer trips (say, more than 30 minutes driving), the higher 'hot viscosity' number should help.

You could add an upper cylinder oil (Marvel Mystery Oil has been around forever - Subaru also sells an upper cylinder lube). It will help your rings seal better and may reduce oil usage as a side benefit. Add it to your fuel.

You could also try an oil additive like MoS2 or boron (Liqui Moly makes both). Both tend the plate the inside of the engine and reduce tolerances. Along the way, you should reduce oil usage past the rings.

I also have a 2012 Subaru Forester, but with a different engine. I'm at 103k miles, using Mobil-1 5w-30 with zero oil usage. All things are possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts