Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a new down-pipe and catless up-pipe, I left the plastic sump guard off so I could go back and re-torque the up-pipe bolts after a few heat cycles. My wife told me my XT was leaking some sort of amber fluid. After getting on the ground to look at it, there was a 1.5" dia puddle withing an 1 hr and 30 min of driving it, and it looks like fluid was on the front diff case, and dripping from the bottom of it. There appears to be some fluid that leaked into the heat/sound deadening material on the plastic sump guard too.

Best I can tell there is a radial spray pattern on the DP and the front suspension/cross member.... which would indicate the culprit is the CV boot on the front passenger side axle.

Anyone had problems w/ the front CV boot?

Could the install of the DP and up-pipe have caused some sort of leak?

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
170 Posts
The color of the fluid points to the front diff oil. Check where the half shafts connect into the diff. A possible seal leak there. Check your front diff oil level to see if it's low. CV boot grease normally is very dark.

·
Administrator
14,811 Posts
I agree - it's probably not CV. Also check the steering rack for leaks. Did you by chance "stretch" the front driveline during the install?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Northwest Tan said:
On the MT, the front diff and the transmission share the same fluid right? So would he check the transmission fluid dipstick?
I have a 4eat, but should I still check the diff fluid dipstick?

Kevin said:
I agree - it's probably not CV. Also check the steering rack for leaks. Did you by chance "stretch" the front driveline during the install?
Huh? What do you mean by "stretch" the front driveline? I unbolted the passenger side motor mount, and jacked it up about 1-2" to be able to remove and install the up-pipe... is that what you mean? By jacking it up, you think maybe the front half shaft could have pulled on the seal on the diff? Or maybe the rack?

·
Administrator
14,811 Posts
fxtacy said:
I have a 4eat, but should I still check the diff fluid dipstick?

Huh? What do you mean by "stretch" the front driveline? I unbolted the passenger side motor mount, and jacked it up about 1-2" to be able to remove and install the up-pipe... is that what you mean? By jacking it up, you think maybe the front half shaft could have pulled on the seal on the diff? Or maybe the rack?
Yes, check the front diff oil level. I'm thinking that the jacking has disturbed either the seal or, and I hope not, the half shaft attachment into the diff. Have a look at the shafts on each side of the diff; does there appear to be an equal gap between the diff housing and the shaft collar? If one is out further then it has shifted = not good. The rack should be OK as it is atttached to the sub-frame (I think).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well.... I have an appointment w/ the dealer tomorrow morning. Like I said, there were signs of fluid in the plastic sump cover prior to me doing the install, so maybe the install just aggrevated the problem.

Should be covered under warranty.... and those of you pulling the "you play, you pay" card, the evidence of the leak was there prior to the install.

·
Administrator
14,811 Posts
fxtacy said:
the evidence of the leak was there prior to the install.

This is good - let's hope it turns out to be something simple and covered under warranty.

You should still check your oil levels before driving it - it doesn't take long for an oil-less diff to destroy itself. This has happened to me when the dealer didn't install one shaft properly; the shaft moved out; dropped all the oil while I was driving and at the end of our one hour drive the front diff was stuffed. All covered under warranty of course but the car was off the road for a month. Having already been in the repair shop for a month (rebuild engine after hydrolocking) I wasn't very happy as you can imagine!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn't even associated with the transmission or diff. Turns out it was a loose banjo bolt on the oil feed line on the turbo. The fluid had leaked down and gotten onto the side of the diff. I'm not sure how that got loose because I didn't touch those when doing the DP/up isntall.

thanks to everyone for their help/input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts