Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Issue- After work yesterday i started my car up and drove about a mile to target and when i got there and parked the car started running really rough and then a lot of white smoke started coming out of the exhaust and the car wreaked of fuel. I just figured that the car wasn't completely warmed up so didn't think much of it.
When I tried to start the car up again it just cranked and then it seemed like the battery was dead and it wouldn't crank at all and just gave that click. I let it sit for a few minutes and tried again and luckily it started so i let it sit and run for a few minutes and got going and kept it below 3-4k rpm's just in case something was seriously wrong and i just wanted to get it the 5 miles to my parents house.
About half a mile from the house i thought the car was back to normal so i let boost hit and right after i let off the car started hesitating really badly and felt like it was missing again so i barely rolled into the driveway and then lots of smoke started coming out of the exhaust again and it seemed like it was missing badly also and the smell of fuel was very strong.
I've been doing a lot of reading and i think it might be a bad coil pack or boost leak or something. it seemed to happen all of a sudden

Mods- the car is a 2000 forester L with a 04 wrx swap that was completed about 8 months ago and i've had no real problems since i started it (guess it was too good to be true)
vf-39
accessport with downloaded map (not the greatest tune but had been doing the job, but was a little rich)
sti jdm injectors
walboro fuel pump
perrin front mount intercooler
invidia bellmouth downpipe
greddy ti-c exhaust
act lightweight flywheel
act sport clutch
lightened crank pulley
straight cut ppg 1-2 gears
and probably some other stuff i can't remember

could this be some spent rings or something?

edit...
when i tried to start the car today (christmas day) it took some cranking then finally started and after it had ran for a few minutes i was watching the engine bay and i noticed something dripping from the joint between the turbo and the downpipe, i guess i don't have the greatest seal there but when i caught a drip with my finger i smelled it and it was fuel...
what the hells going on.
is my motor toast?

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pulled the trouble codes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think i've had them all but the last one is new

P0461 fuel level sonsor circuit range/ performance
P0463 fuel level sensor circuit high output
P0480 cooling fan 1 control circuit
P1230 fuel pump control unit malfunction

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
it helps to know DTCs lol, so it seems that your fuel gauge doesnt work??? but you say thats old, also a cooling fun doesnt work? thats never good, and your fuel pump seems to not be working as it should

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah my fuel gauge hasn't worked since the swap and i have been having problems with the fans and cooling system
but the fuel pump circuit unit malfunction is concerning me
it doesn't seem to be missing but it guess the fuel pump is throwing too much fuel

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha thats pretty funny i just found that like 2 seconds ago.
thank you so much for your research though!
i'm going to try that on monday when my dad and brother get home
my dad helped me wire that and i have the most confidence that he did it right but we gotta double check everything
thanks,
shane

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wish i knew more about turbo systems,
i kinda jumped head first into the whole thing and am trying to figure it out as i go

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Issue- After work yesterday i started my car up and drove about a mile to target and when i got there and parked the car started running really rough and then a lot of white smoke started coming out of the exhaust and the car wreaked of fuel. I just figured that the car wasn't completely warmed up so didn't think much of it.
When I tried to start the car up again it just cranked and then it seemed like the battery was dead and it wouldn't crank at all and just gave that click. I let it sit for a few minutes and tried again and luckily it started so i let it sit and run for a few minutes and got going and kept it below 3-4k rpm's just in case something was seriously wrong and i just wanted to get it the 5 miles to my parents house.
I would lean toward a terribly leaky injector, especially if you've noticed a sharp decrease in fuel milage. I just got done dealing with a leaky injector, and it was a frustrating and expensive experience...

When you tried to start the car that second time and only got a click, one of the cylinders (whichever has the bad injector) could've been filled and hydrolocked with fuel. Then when you let it sit, the fuel leaked into the crank case/evaporated which allowed you to start the car.

See if you can find someplace locally to flow/leak test your injectors, also you might want to change your oil if it's a bad injector, cause all that extra gas can make it's way into your crank case and dilute your oil right quick causing you to really toast your motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts