Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So wondering if anyone with the new Forester finds the backup cam pretty terrible when it rains? It gets a lot of glare and seems to fog up a lot easier than the backup cam I had on my '16 WRX so it's disappointment.
When it's a clean lens, the cam is really clear, so I'm thinking of applying one of the Rain-X products on there to mitigate this issue going forward.

Anyone have a similar experience and any other suggestions to try out? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
18 Posts
I recently traded my '14 Forester for a '19 and think the camera on the '19 stays cleaner than the old one. No actual proof, just my impression.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,625 Posts
the rear turbulence cause a lot of gunk and grime (and rain) to get on the camera. I've tried applying products to the lens..not much helps. I always have baby wipes in the car so those come in handy.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring
39 Posts
I’ve noticed that the rear wiper fluid dumps over top the camera on the 19. While it sounds like a good idea, I’m not completely sure if the execution is helping so much. Have you tried using the wiper fluid action to clear/clean it?

·
Registered
2017 Outback
118 Posts
Radio delete option

I am very disappointed in the backup camera in my '15 Limited. The picture is grainy at night and the colors are blurred. If this technology was new I would understand that it needs more time for development...but it ain't new, folks.

I bought an inexpensive backup camera/monitor kit on Amazon and installed it on my wife's Volvo wagon. It is far superior to the device on my Subi. The picture is crystal clear, the camera works extremely well at night with no graininess and rain does not adhere to the camera lens. I paid $32 for this kit when it was half price.

Why aren't factory car electronics better? I guess these accessories are put out for bid and they go to the low bidder. But look at how many cars are down graded in Consumer Reports magazine due to flaky radios/navigation systems/Bluetooth errors. The Fuji audio system in my Forester is entirely too complicated and the apps (clock set, Aha, birthday) don't work smoothly. And it cost far more than it is worth.

I vaguely recall a time when cars could be ordered without factory audio so that buyers could buy good after market products. I'd like to see that happen again.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the rear turbulence cause a lot of gunk and grime (and rain) to get on the camera. I've tried applying products to the lens..not much helps. I always have baby wipes in the car so those come in handy.
I just used a soft tissue to wipe it off last time and it's been good since, but I guess I haven't seen much precipitation lately. I'll likely bring this up when I go to the dealer next time, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll have some TSB on it in the near future or some solution.

I’ve noticed that the rear wiper fluid dumps over top the camera on the 19. While it sounds like a good idea, I’m not completely sure if the execution is helping so much. Have you tried using the wiper fluid action to clear/clean it?
Hmm, no, don't think I've tried that, guess something to keep in mind next time it happens.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Can't compare cameras on different vehicles. The aerodynamics are different and the amount of stuff getting kicked back on to the camera is going to be different vehicle to vehicle.
Just the nature of the best. The Flex I drive has a very squared of rear so it gets more than others IMHO and so, I already carry wipes in the car and just wipe it off when I fill up.

Simple solution to a simple problem.

·
Registered
2017 Premium with ES CVT
283 Posts
Having a 17 Foz and 18 Impreza. I can that Impz has far better camera .The Impz camera is miles ahead of one used in Foz.
I researched little bit to see if a simple plug and play would work,but then dropped it not finding any good inputs.
It's ironic though, that Impz OEM camera is cheaper than the Foz.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
17 Posts
A little Easter egg on the 19 forester. The rear window washer fluid cleans the camera for you. Just turn the little lever to clean the rear window and bam! The camera is clean.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
603 Posts
Subaru's backup cameras are pretty useless when it rains. There's been plenty of times I've gone to rely on it only to see water and rain drops covering the lens. I've tried Rain-X, but it didn't really help. From what I've seen VW has the right idea for a backup camera where it stays hidden until the vehicle is put in reverse.

Although I've thought of making a mini shroud for my Outback's backup cam, and see if that helps at all.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Although I've thought of making a mini shroud for my Outback's backup cam, and see if that helps at all.
How do you overcome the spray that is sucked up by the swirling air behind the car on the road?

Rear back up cameras in the future may have to be placed on the inside of the rear glass (ala 3rd stop light) in a place that is cleaned by rear wiper to overcome all of our wet weather issues. Then we run into the issue of not being able to look down at the rear bumper area like you can in the Honda CRV's, I'm not aware if other manufacturers rear cameras can do the same because I haven't taken any notice.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
23 Posts
So far no issues with my 19 Forester Limited. I bought it in Traverse City, MI and drove it home to Battle Creek, MI in some heavy wet snow. While we have had rain but not heavy rain and I haven't noticed any issues with the back up camera.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
285 Posts
Until Subaru gets with the modern times and stashes the camera somewhere away from road spray we are all going to be chasing our tails keeping the thing clean. A wash of fluid sounds nice, but also like an unreliable solution.

BMW and VW (so not just a premium brand solution!) stash the camera in the emblem on the rear of the vehicle, and when needed the emblem assembly pivots, and reveals the camera lens, cleverly adding a 'wiper' to the surface that the camera moves over each time it is deployed, the camera is never dirty. At least never as dirty as our fully exposed ones. Its a brilliant little design, not foolproof I know a bunch of people prefer simplicity over complexity, but seeing as these cameras are legally required equipment now it would be nice if Subaru did more than just tack the thing on the back somewhere and hope some fluid spray keeps it clean.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
61 Posts
Our '16 always seems to have a dirty lens. When I stop, I try to remember to wipe it off with a tissue or thumb. I don't seem to have nearly the problem in our Toyota RAV4. Then lens is in a similar location, but that vehicle has a small spoiler so I think it changes the aerodynamics behind the car when moving.

FYI, I put some nice bright LEDs in the Subaru as backup lights. They made a huge difference at night when viewing the camera.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,378 Posts
The backup camera on my '16 Chevy Spark ($12,400-New) is soooo much better than my '18 Forester at night. Very grainy.

Have others noticed this? Its like the quality of digital cameras 20 years ago :mad:

·
Registered
138 Posts
So wondering if anyone with the new Forester finds the backup cam pretty terrible when it rains? It gets a lot of glare and seems to fog up a lot easier than the backup cam I had on my '16 WRX so it's disappointment.
When it's a clean lens, the cam is really clear, so I'm thinking of applying one of the Rain-X products on there to mitigate this issue going forward.

Anyone have a similar experience and any other suggestions to try out? Thanks.
I can hardly believe the Forester still has this problem! Incredible this hasn't been redesigned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A little Easter egg on the 19 forester. The rear window washer fluid cleans the camera for you. Just turn the little lever to clean the rear window and bam! The camera is clean.
Coming from a MY14 this is a welcome addition. Here is a quick video of my MY19 dumping washer fluid on the backup camera. It’s night and dark but you can get the idea. Any regular dirt/salt gets washed off pretty good.

https://youtu.be/5p4adIWT3KE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts