Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn telephone pole found my blind spot when backing out of a tricky dirt parking/pull off area. Didn't even know it was there until the fozz just stopped dead at 10mph. Looked in the mirrors like "really!?" as I didn't see anything. Got out to see I hit a telephone pole and that I hit the damn pole kinda good. Pole rashed the bumped down the the bare plastic and bowed it out about 1/4" on the driver side under the quarter panel near the rear wheel well.

Bumped is not cracked, is a bit of a soft spot in it on the driver side corner. The bowed out spot can be easy tweaked and is not too noticeable. Bent slightly at the natural crease before the wheel well. Besides that, no other damage, got lucky.

I plan to tape the area off and sand it down back to smooth + primer. Was thinking about going to Keystone to order paint in a aerosol can since I do not have a air gun or compressor. Want to blend it myself don't care if there is a blend line, since it will look alot better than pole rash. Once im happy with that I want to touch up my front bumper.

Just need some pointers so it will look decent and so it doesn't flake off down the road. Want to learn to do it myself to save money and eventually someone will rub my car again in a parking lot somewhere and take off, always inevitable.

No sense in a picture since you see one car with bad bumper rash, you see it all.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
You might want to pull the bumper off completely just to check behind it, and also check the mounting points. I backed into a stone wall (don't ask) and it didn't do much damage to the bumper cover (some nicks and scrapes), but it did manage to dent the metal bumper beam sitting behind it, and knock some of the mounting points off a bit.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to pull the bumper off completely just to check behind it, and also check the mounting points. I backed into a stone wall (don't ask) and it didn't do much damage to the bumper cover (some nicks and scrapes), but it did manage to dent the metal bumper beam sitting behind it, and knock some of the mounting points off a bit.
I looked underneath, will pull the bumper to paint. All is good. I missed the metal piece. Just hit the corner.

Im gonna pull the front and rear bumpers and blend them decent. I was hit in the front corner 2 weeks into ownership and it mostly buffed out, and looks crappy none the less. Plus it real road rashed.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Sorry to hear m8.
I also backed up into a pole once. The blind spot between the rear windshield and corner of the car. Tho I was slowly reversing to park the car so the speed was like 3km/h. lol
Anyway my foz is old and got that grey molding going all around it and the bumper is the same so I got just a small bump in it that's barely visible.

Hope you get yours fixed tho. Good luck.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear m8.
I also backed up into a pole once. The blind spot between the rear windshield and corner of the car. Tho I was slowly reversing to park the car so the speed was like 3km/h. lol
Anyway my foz is old and got that grey molding going all around it and the bumper is the same so I got just a small bump in it that's barely visible.

Hope you get yours fixed tho. Good luck.
Seriously I was looking in both mirrors, never realized I had such a blind spot. :icon_redface:

....Don't forget to leave me suggestions on blending my bumper....

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Seriously I was looking in both mirrors, never realized I had such a blind spot. :icon_redface:

....Don't forget to leave me suggestions on blending my bumper....

Ye I know how that is. The pole is just thin enough to hide from your view.

Too bad the bumper is made of plastic and not metal. If it where metal you could try that heat up and cool down trick. I don't think it works on bumpers....

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just gonna sand it and primer it real good. Now getting the right pain in spray can is another story. If I had more time/skill/money i would 2 tone it like an outback.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can post some after pics. Kinda forgot about this thread with all thats been going on in my life (Just found out my fiancee is 6 weeks pregnant so I pushed my wedding date all the way up to the end of this month [may 22nd] so I can get her on my insurance since he job cut her from her insurance. No easy task to replan a wedding in 4 days) . I did repaint my front and rear bumper since. Only a 2 beer job. Slight bump in top of bumper where it flexed but oh well looks good.

PaintScratch Touch-Up Paint (p1), Spray Cans, Spray Paint, Paint Pens, Car Paint, Automotive Paint is definatley the place to go for paint. Is an exact match.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts