Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for the Forester but I do plan on installing some in our B9. After much searching and looking under the car I think the ROSS system is most likely to be the best bet. It can be mounted behind the plastic bumper and shoot through it w/o doing any cutting or drilling (using microwaves).

Details here:

http://store.yahoo.com/sports-imports/unmibeorunbu.html

http://www.rostra.com/rostra-obstacle.htm

http://autodax.com/products/backupsens/ross.htm

If anyone has installed this type of system I'd be interested in hearing about it. I'll post a link here eventually just in case anyone is considering doing something like this in a Forester.

·
Gone but not forgotten - R.I.P.
520 Posts
I'll have to look and see who manufactured mine. It came with Mr. Car from the dealer. It's awful. It will react to a raindrop while ignoring the garage door.

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ROSS system used microwaves so it's not effected by weather, that's also why it can be mounted behind the plastic bumper. It shoots through plastic.

·
Gone but not forgotten - R.I.P.
520 Posts
Mine is branded "Sonar King" and is, in a phrase, PEWP!

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the box in the mail today. I have to say I was happy to see the cost was actually less than the website had it listed:

http://www.brandondist.com/rostra_prices.htm

I think it was just under 175 USD, I got the extension to the LED for 7 something and the total was 191 shipped, not bad. I can't wait to get started but I'm gonna have to. I'll most likely do it on Saturday. Here are some pics I took for the page when it.

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed everything today, the good news is it works well and is not all that hard to do. The bad news is I didn't take any pics while I was doing it because most of the time I needed both hands. I will try to do an after the fact page though.

It was not that bad. I mounted the sensors and black module using the automotive grade 3M double sided tape to the metal bumper beam. (same stuff they use to hold door strips on with) I did have to trim a little bit of the Styrofoam so the end of the sensor could be past the metal. I had to drop the spare and remove that for room to work. Under the floor inside I removed the hatch and foamish tray. There are a few knock outs to use for the wire pass through so that was simple. I had to pull off trim on the right (that was a bugger) so I could mount the buzzer and LED's. I put the buzzer behind the far back seats seat belt winder and ran the LED up the trim to behind the rear dome light. You really can't see anything when all is said and done, not even the LED's unless they are lit. Worked out nicely. Funky thing is when it's in operation it sets off my RADAR detector :) Must be the microwaves.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Peaty said:
Funky thing is when it's in operation it sets off my RADAR detector :) Must be the microwaves.
Think of this scenario:

Peaty cruising down the Hwy with the family and a tailgater slips in behind him and the Radar goes ballistic.............
and now you have 1 dirty B9 drivers side seat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
Casper said:
Peaty said:
Funky thing is when it's in operation it sets off my RADAR detector :) Must be the microwaves.
Think of this scenario:

Peaty cruising down the Hwy with the family and a tailgater slips in behind him and the Radar goes ballistic.............

:lol: If I assume correct it only works while the car is in reverse. On a side note did you get my care package Peaty?

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Benrock05201 said:
Casper said:
Peaty said:
Think of this scenario:

:lol: If I assume correct it only works while the car is in reverse. On a side note did you get my care package Peaty?
I know it would have a switch to detect when Reverse was selected, but you can just imagine the scenario if it didn't though :lol:

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No package yet :(

and yes it will only work with the back up lights on. I had to find the wire and tap into it. I was thinking of the opposite. Find a way to turn it on so I could set off other radar detectors of say tailgaters :)

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Peaty said:
No package yet :(

and yes it will only work with the back up lights on. I had to find the wire and tap into it. I was thinking of the opposite. Find a way to turn it on so I could set off other radar detectors of say tailgaters :)
You are one sic puppy Peaty :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,679 Posts
Peaty said:
Find a way to turn it on so I could set off other radar detectors of say tailgaters :)
Sounds like a great idea to me, though I'm still looking for the rear-facing rocket launcher button that the dealer told me came with the car. Closest I ever came to this was a friend with a diesel car who told me she could cover the road with black smoke by intentionally backfiring. And she did so from time to time, when conditions merited this level of attack.

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
way back when before they had steering wheel locks (key on dash) I would turn the car off for a bit and let the exhaust system fill with gas fumes then turn it back on. It made a heck of a noise w/ some flames coming out the tail pipe :twisted: Not good for the muffler if you had a normal one, it worked well with glass packs though :wink:

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure it will get here soon, things come quickly from the west coast but the east take a while for some reason.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Peaty said:
way back when before they had steering wheel locks (key on dash) I would turn the car off for a bit and let the exhaust system fill with gas fumes then turn it back on. It made a heck of a noise w/ some flames coming out the tail pipe :twisted: Not good for the muffler if you had a normal one, it worked well with glass packs though :wink:
LOL, I used to do that on the Opel GT I had back in high school. Not sure how many times you can do that b4 the muffler ejects though...I got lucky I think. :roll:

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We use to find mufflers on the side of the road that fell off cars and blow those up. The oval ones get round and then eventually split at the seams :)

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
I installed a set, not based on the ROSS system, not sure what it is based upon, but it does drill into plastic bumper, it was colour coded and matched my dad's car perfectly. It had 4 sensors, and works quite well, even came with a distance display...

If the ROSS system shoots thru plastic, then will it not detect plastic objects then ?

·
The Modfather
8,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It seems to I think the items need to be further away is all. The type you are talking about is an ultrasonic system. From what I've read those are effected by the weather (snow rain and such)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts