Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 99 Forester for just a few months. When we drove away with it from the dealership we noticed a finicky latch on the tailgate. After screwing around with the key in the lock and the handle, we managed to close it. It was a bit unpredictable for a while, but then started to get much worse. We could sometimes get it closed by slamming it very hard after locking and unlocking it with the key. But for the last month or so, it has completely stopped working. No amount of slamming or fiddling will even get it to latch in the slightest, and it is only the weight of the door that holds it down. Aside from keeping the door ajar light on, and occasionally bouncing around while driving, it also means our car is never completely locked.

Has anyone else had this problem, or can someone suggest a way to fix it? I don't think it is a cold or temperature problem, but it might just need an adjustment. Or it might need to be completely replaced. Advice on fixing or replacing door latches seems to be surprisingly hard to find on the internet!

Any help will be great

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,757 Posts
My guess is that it's seizing up from mositure caused corrosion. The only way to tell for sure is to get in there & look at it. It may just need a good cleaning & relubing. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
99 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it's moisture since that hasn't been a consistent thing since I bought it, but who knows.

The striker plate... Is that the plate that holds the latch in place? I could try that. I didn't know it was adjustable; it just looks like it comes off.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2010. Most likely it might need to be just realigned. But since it's a new car is going to the delership so they can fix the issue. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts