Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf R (AWD!) DSG (Automated Manual)
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone else having the problem that the 'back' button in their browser doesn't work? Started on my home laptop the other day and I figured it was having a problem and I just needed to clear my cookies (hadn't gotten around to it yet). Now that I'm back in the office I noticed today that it isn't working on my work laptop or work desktop either (three computers total). Did a logout of the site from the desktop and still have the issue.

When it tries, it says 'waiting on cdn4.specificclick.net' and after it finishes I'm still on the same page.

Would be odd to just be me since it's doing this on three different PCs. Anyone else? (And please, hold your comments about using IE, it's the only browser at work and we're not allowed to change it. Not saying I can't, saying I wouldn't be setting a good example if I did :icon_biggrin:).

EDIT: just on this forum. I should also state: clicking 'back' three times real fast usually does take me back, though sometimes a page too far. But once WILL NOT.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts
A little googling (not that much on it) and it seems like a cookie that people are having trouble getting rid of... and might have something to do with flash?

Also saw a post on another forum where a guy had the same problem as you.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
229 Posts
Interesting. I was having that problem earlier today with the WeatherTech pages, but not now. I'm using a Mac with Safari.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts
specificclick.net Categorized as:
Tracking Cookie
Normally, cookies, which are small text files that certain Web sites leave on computers to store information identifying users and customize Web site content for them (such as the user’s Web site settings and preferences, a list of visited pages, computer details, and shopping card information), are harmless. However, some cookies may be used to track and transmit browsing preferences or other private information to online marketers and spammers.

How Did specificclick.net Cookie Appear at My PC?
The following are the most likely reasons why your computer got populated with specificclick.net cookie:
You have directly visited specificclick.net
A website that you have visited uses some of the components (pages, files, images, and so on) of the specificclick.net website
A software application with Internet-enabled functionality that had previously accessed the specificclick.net website was running on your PC (in this case, the specificclick.net cookie will be saved in Internet Explorer)
Detecting specificclick.net Cookie
You can detect the presence of the specificclick.net cookie in your system using the Exterminate It! antimalware application. This way, the detection and removal will be performed automatically. Alternatively, you can choose to perform the following steps, depending on the browser you are using:
To detect specificclick.net cookie in Internet Explorer (IE)
Internet Explorer 7 (IE7)
From the Tools menu, or the Tools list in the upper right section, select Internet Options
Under Browsing History, click Settings
Click View Objects or View Files
Check if for the specificclick.net cookie is present on the list
Internet Explorer 5.x-6.x (IE5-IE6)
From the Tools menu, select Options or Internet Options
In the General tab, click Settings
Select View Files
You can identify the specificclick.net cookie files by checking the file names beneath the Name or Internet Address column. The files will contain the Cookie: specificclick.net element.
To detect specificclick.net cookie in Mozilla Firefox (FF)
From the Tools menu, select Options
In the upper section of the Options window, click Privacy
In the Cookies tab, click Show Cookies
In the Cookies window, enter specificclick.net in the Search field and run a search, or you can scroll down the list to check whether the specificclick.net cookie is present there
Permanent Blocking of specificclick.net Cookie on Your PC
Below, you will find instructions on how to block the specificclick.net cookie permanently in the different browsers.
To block specificclick.net cookie in Internet Explorer
From the Tools menu of Internet Explorer, select Internet Options
Select the Privacy tab, and then click Sites. The Per site privacy actions window will be displayed
In the Per site privacy actions window, enter specificclick.net in the Address of Web site field
Click Block
To block specificclick.net cookie in Mozilla Firefox
From the Tools menu, select Options
In the upper section of the Options window, click Privacy
In the Cookies tab, click Exceptions
In the new Exceptions - Cookies window, enter specificclick.net in the Address of Website field and click Disable

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Yeah that would make sense. I closed/reopened IE and the problem is gone. I have cookies cleared every time.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, cleared the specificclick cookies, no help. Let me try all cookies on the other PC.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clearing all cookies didn't help; next up, clearing all cached files.

XTDude, I did get a flash error on this desktop, once today, and a couple of times it just started eating memory (this site only) and I had to kill iexplorer. And I've noticed a 'failed to load' pop-up error every once in a while for a week.

Neoshi, the ads are the source of all evil! :Banane17:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, cleared all files = no help. Blocked specificclick and specificmedia = no help.

I dunno. Again, using IE 7, three different computers, standard forum member (i.e. full ads) and also while not logged in on forum.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should also state: clicking 'back' three times real fast usually does take me back, though sometimes a page too far. But once WILL NOT.

As for the flashplayer issue, it may be separate. It just hung while loading this page, showed waiting on TPP and gave me the 'script running slow' error while chomping memory until I killed it. But that hasn't happened on my laptops so I'm thinking it's an issue with this desktop. Going home now, looking for SNOW tomorrow!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts
I just did a search for "specificclick.net" and fished around a bit. Seems like people are having trouble getting rid of the cookie or it's stored in another random spot on the system. This is all I could piece together in about 10 minutes.

try googling "remove specificclick" or something like that...

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,142 Posts
Its a flash cookie if I am not mistaken. It has to be cleared a specific way... IIRC... I have an add-on that does it for me in firefox, every time I close the window, all regular cookies are cleared. So just opening Preferences and clicking clear cookies won't do it for you.

PS. For firefox users the addon is BetterPrivacy and can be found here. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts
Its a flash cookie if I am not mistaken. It has to be cleared a specific way... IIRC... I have an add-on that does it for me in firefox, every time I close the window, all regular cookies are cleared. So just opening Preferences and clicking clear cookies won't do it for you.

PS. For firefox users the addon is BetterPrivacy and can be found here. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623
yea, i read some stuff about having to clear it "manually" and then blocking it to be safe

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,185 Posts
I noticed this issue too in IE8. When you click the back button drop down to select what page you want to go back to, a page called "Clip" keeps appearing as the first page on the back button list, that seems to be what's causing the problem for me.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed this issue too in IE8. When you click the back button drop down to select what page you want to go back to, a page called "Click" keeps appearing as the first page on the back button list, that seems to be what's causing the problem for me.
Ooohh, very interesting. Yes, I'm actually on IE8 at home (IE7 was on my work systems) and the first entry in my "back" list is "clip" (rather than "click").

Makes me wonder...are we all being redirected around (man in the middle?)? Google time!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OOOOH OOOOH, guess what? Found a similar thread on TundraTalknet from yesterday, also an AUTOGUIDE forum! And even better, when I hit the site/thread, I got the same adobe script error and it started eating memory on my laptop and I had to kill it (same as happens sporadically on here). And back button no worky :p

So, a larger autoguide issue here? Nadim, not to point fingers, but two autoguide forums having the problem it seems. Have you heard anything or have any news? Could be unrelated (computer symptoms are often misleading; that's what logs are for!). Or a vbulletin vulnerability? Or flash? Wish I had time to dig into this....but I need to get off my butt and clean up this workzone of a basement before the in-laws come into town tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts