Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Forester and the drivers side rear wheel bearing is humming. I had my mechanic shop attempt to change it but the axle is frozen onto the spindle/hub. He did not want to heat it due to possible damage. I can get axle and spindle for $100 from junk yard. He will change bearing on junkyard part and re install. How long can I leave it humming before I HAVE to change it? He may or not be able to salvage axle. Which website has absoulte cheapest oem parts for subaru?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Well seeing as you are looking at getting the bearing replaced any way and potentially the axle hit it hard with a BFH until it moves. If it comes out you may have saved your self the cost of the hub.

As for how long it will last, ask the Magic 8 ball.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X
241 Posts
Putting a lot of force on the hub/spindle may cause the hub/spindle to need to be replaced...

It may hum for a long time without anything dramatic happening, the key is are the bearings intact and is there any 'play'.

Jack both rear wheels up, block the front wheels, put it in neutral, and spin the noisy wheel. If it turns smoothly without notchiness or crunchiness, and if there is no play when you grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to move the wheel up&down, you may be OK for a bit longer.

Once there is any notchiness or play, you're pretty much done.

The hazard is that you may check it tuesday, might feel OK, then thursday at 60mph the bearing may blow and you'll be at the shoulder waiting for the tow truck.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts