Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I got the car back with a new front left axel. That part is marvelous but the brakes are now making a squeak every time the wheel goes to a certain point. But it gets more complex than that, sometimes when driving around 40 you don't hear anything, then when you accelerate or add gas it starts creaking again. I just looked at it and it didn't looked warped/grimey ( I couldn't see the back side or the caliper on the inner side. Any ideas? I'll get my dad to look at it again.

PS. It's not the mechanic's fault.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Wheel bearing? I'd check that first. Or the clips in the caliper bracket might be tweaked, or the backing plate could be rubbing.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
not to sound mean, but if it wasnt there before and now its there, and the thing that changed was that someone worked on it...............

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me, my dad did a bad job taking the wheel off when he was examining the bad axel. He took the strut supports off and might have seized a bolt or something, or so he tells me. It's not the mechanic.

It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing. At least, the videos of bearings on youtube don't sound anything like it.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
What do you mean by wheels go to a certain point? turn? up/down?

Doesn't sound like brakes to me. More like a suspension component

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Also, it got new pads so maybe they're working in? Not sure.
When you put the new pads on, did they use the shim kit? What about pad grease? The lack of either of those can cause squealing.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you mean by wheels go to a certain point? turn? up/down?

Doesn't sound like brakes to me. More like a suspension component
When turning the wheel, it's a different sound depending on the angle. It does seem like a suspension part, but I'm not sure. If I put the car in park and move it back and forth it makes the sound as well, but not when bouncing the suspension around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts