Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get an awning for our car. Any suggestions? Do I need anything to help attach it?

Eventually we want to get a roof top tent but not until next year.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
658 Posts
My daughter has a 3-man Yakama roof top on her Crosstrek. I spent a week+ in it in UT & AZ. Supper comfy, super solid, easy to open & close. We could put it up in about 3 minutes even in the dark.
Need aftermarket crossbars, the OEM's are more for show.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've got the Yakima SlimShady awning, as well as a medium SkyRise tent. Since you'll need an aftermarket rack for the tent eventually, the Yakima awning is super simple to install on the Yakima crossbars and and the mounts are also lockable.

·
Administrator
15,397 Posts
Not necessarily but they need to be strong and they may need to extend beyond the roof rails to properly support the roof top camper. Are the Thule Aero curved? If so they'll be no good. I've found the Thule square steel bars to be suitable - and strong too. They can be had in different lengths and you can get an extended clamping tool if the bars are too long for the short tool to reach the feet which was my case.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So a rooftop rent requires a certain set of crossbars not the Thule aero?
Your original post didn't state you already had crossbars. Depending on the type, the Thule might be compatible. I know the Yakima tent mounts are compatible with aftermarket aero, curved bars. They state factory crossbars are a no go due to them being too flexible. Anyway, the Yakima awning should have everything included that's required for mounting to crossbars.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
324 Posts
I also have the Yakima SlimShady awning, and would highly recommend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts