Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove over to Atlanta today to TopSpeed and had the nice chaps there work me a custom tune. Doug Wilks is quite a gentleman and knows what he's doing, and was kind enough to do my tune and offer some great conversation. Cicio and the rest of the staff is wonderful as well. They even bought me some Starbucks while I was waiting. They kept calling my car a "Wednesday car" and told me it had great power. That was nice to hear coming from these guys.

Base map (Cobb VF39 OTS) = 285hp/312tq
New TopSpeed map = 297hp/337tq

Mods that might matter for this are Cobb AP, VF39, STi TMIC, Helix 3" DP, WBR 3" MP, STi AB, de-catted UP, 2.3mm restrictor, Green AF, synthetic oil, and angels in the empty seats.

Boosts up to about 18ish psi. In addition to the new torque I also noticed an increase of exactly 1.0 mpg on the drive home. I don't know how a car can get more torque and hp and simultaneously better mpg, but they said it would happen and it did. The car was smooth before but now it's smoother than butter. I'm pretty excited about the experience!!!!

They also said that the Cobb OTS map was a really good fit for my particular car, though they did improve in all areas.

I just can't stop thinking: HOLY CRAP! My Forester makes 337 ft/lbs of torque!!!

:Banane17:

Check out the dyno sheet!!!

Top Speed Sales High Performance Cars Custom Modifications Go Faster

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
343 Posts
Congrats!!

340 ft/llb torque = people sitting in the passenger seat saying OMG!!!

Very similar set-up to mine (VF43, Helix DP, Cobb AP...)... I'd be very interested in knowing your mpg stats.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the love!

Congrats!!

340 ft/llb torque = people sitting in the passenger seat saying OMG!!!

Very similar set-up to mine... I'd be very interested in knowing your mpg stats.
Cheers!
Before on the Cobb OTS I was getting 18.5-20 city and 24-26ish highway. I'll post more once I get a few tanks through it, but for now I did notice this: On the way TO TopSpeed I drove exactly 75 mph with no a/c, and my Cobb AP said I got trip average of 24.0 mpg. On the way HOME from TopSpeed I reproduced the exact conditions, and Cobb said I got 25.0. So it looks like there's a gain of 1.0 mpg so far. I have found in the past that if I go 72 mph I get mpg in the upper 20s.

What's your MPG?

Nice! Now you will be able to make it to the WBM faster!
Yeah, one of these days I really want to show up...

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
343 Posts
Thanks for the MPG data, I've been waiting for a while to see how someone with a similar set-up was doing!

I really have someting wrong going on: with basically the same set-up, I consistently get about 16 MPG (city only). I read somewhere that you had to "pay to play"; I thought my XT was really fun, so I had to suck it up and that's how much it was drinking, but now that I see your data, I do need to do something about it.

Would be interested in seeing more if you do track the data after a few tanks.

Time for a dyno appointment I guess.
Cheers!

Thanks for all the love!

Before on the Cobb OTS I was getting 18.5-20 city and 24-26ish highway. I'll post more once I get a few tanks through it, but for now I did notice this: On the way TO TopSpeed I drove exactly 75 mph with no a/c, and my Cobb AP said I got trip average of 24.0 mpg. On the way HOME from TopSpeed I reproduced the exact conditions, and Cobb said I got 25.0. So it looks like there's a gain of 1.0 mpg so far. I have found in the past that if I go 72 mph I get mpg in the upper 20s.

What's your MPG?

Yeah, one of these days I really want to show up...

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the MPG data, I've been waiting for a while to see how someone with a similar set-up was doing!

I really have someting wrong going on: with basically the same set-up, I consistently get about 16 MPG (city only). I read somewhere that you had to "pay to play"; I thought my XT was really fun, so I had to suck it up and that's how much it was drinking, but now that I see your data, I do need to do something about it.

Would be interested in seeing more if you do track the data after a few tanks.

Time for a dyno appointment I guess.
Cheers!
Hmmn...are AT or MT? That may make a difference, the manuals get a bit better mpg usually.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
343 Posts
MT!! ...and have driven like a grand-pa. If I have some fun, I think I can litterally see the fuel needle go down!

other details here.

btw, sorry to have highjacked your thread into another MPG thread!

Hmmn...are AT or MT? That may make a difference, the manuals get a bit better mpg usually.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
That's awesome, congratulations.

I think the fuel usage figures AP produces may be on the high side, that's what I noticed on my car. See how far you can go on a full tank before the light comes on.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I ran the first tank through and it looks like I'm getting slightly better city mpg though nothing drastic. Before it was about 250 when the light came on, tonight it came on at 264. Calculations say I got a few decimal points away from 20mpg. So there's a small bump.

My wife drove the car for the first time since the tune the other day and actually noticed the new torque and smoothness, which made me happy. An unsolicited objective and positive assessment from a non-enthusiast!!!

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
thats good to hear. i plan on going to topspeed in a couple weeks for a good tbe tune, stock turbo though. im stock now so hopefully ill feel a nice difference going stage 2. should i ask for anyone paticular to tune the xt or are they all good. ive heard nothing but good things about them, its a 5 hour trip for me

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
343 Posts
Thanks for the update, I'll calculate again now that the weather is nicer here in Canada to see what I get. I'd be happy with 264 miles/tank!

Well I ran the first tank through and it looks like I'm getting slightly better city mpg though nothing drastic. Before it was about 250 when the light came on, tonight it came on at 264. Calculations say I got a few decimal points away from 20mpg. So there's a small bump.

My wife drove the car for the first time since the tune the other day and actually noticed the new torque and smoothness, which made me happy. An unsolicited objective and positive assessment from a non-enthusiast!!!

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats good to hear. i plan on going to topspeed in a couple weeks for a good tbe tune, stock turbo though. im stock now so hopefully ill feel a nice difference going stage 2. should i ask for anyone paticular to tune the xt or are they all good. ive heard nothing but good things about them, its a 5 hour trip for me
I asked for and got Doug Wilks just b/c he's the main man there and is pretty famous in the southeast for tuning. Might as well get "the best" especially if you're driving a long way like I did. If you go let them know we talked, they said if I recommend them they'll give me a discount on my next tune, I'd appreciate it!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.