1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Subaru 5sp
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'07 Sports FXT 5sp Daily - Maintenance and Functional Upgrades

Hey all-

I figured it was time to join the Scooby forum now that I have made the switch over to a new platform!

This whole Subaru thing is new to me. I work on a lot of them, but have always had my hesitations, until finally, on a search for reliability, I decided to give it a run. So far, I am thoroughly impressed.

For starters, I'm an AWD junkee.

-I built an Evo from 2011 to 2014, which I recently sold because racecar. Build thread
-I like E30s and E34s, I've owned far too many. Some recent ones: 325iX Number 1, 325iX Number 2, and 530iT
-Before all of that I had a bunch of Mustangs too (all lame, but that goes without saying).

Due to recently getting really sick of owning cool looking but unfathomably unreliable vehicles, I decided that a Forester is the only real option with some towing capacity, cargo space, and still that good look and fun factor, so I searched forever, and low and behold, a 2007 Forester Sport XT popped up a few miles from my house.

So tonight, I went and bought it.

110K, clean Carfax, all matching panels, the thing was meticulously maintained and is MINT. The ride is fantastic, power is great, and obviously looks fantastic.

No timing belt sticker, though, so I am going to address that. I will take proper photos with my camera tomorrow, but until now, this is she:

:Banane35:

·
Registered
2007 Subaru 5sp
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, gents! I'll get some proper photographs up tonight.

As for that 'slam it' bit above, unfortunately, that won't be happening to this one. Stock she comes, stock she stays. Fozzy's gotta last a while.

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
welcome!!! and how wild....i drive by that place almost every day during the work week just to see some of the cars they have.

again, welcome and see you around maybe. i work right there and live "nearby". have fun man...and nice cars you linked to!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium cvt
519 Posts
WOW that is beautiful! I know everyone on the forum has different likes and stuff and I love how this Forester looks. I'm an old stock type of dude instead slam it dude, as far as cars go!:biggrin: Enjoy your ride.....

·
Registered
2007 Subaru 5sp
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
welcome!!! and how wild....i drive by that place almost every day during the work week just to see some of the cars they have.

again, welcome and see you around maybe. i work right there and live "nearby". have fun man...and nice cars you linked to!
Thanks, man! It was funny, the Forester was one of the cheapest cars on the lot. Those guys are pretty cool and straightforward. He said, "I only buy cars that I would drive," which explains 99% of the cars on the lot.

And yeah, I'll most likely see you around. I live in Schwenksville.

WOW that is beautiful! I know everyone on the forum has different likes and stuff and I love how this Forester looks. I'm an old stock type of dude instead slam it dude, as far as cars go!:biggrin: Enjoy your ride.....
Thanks! I completely agree. I think maybe with a very subtle drop it would enhance the ride, as the center of gravity seems a bit high right now, but other than that, I wouldn't want to change a thing about this car.

The only reason I bought it was to leave it stock and drive it, so it's going to stay this way!

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
Thanks, man! It was funny, the Forester was one of the cheapest cars on the lot. Those guys are pretty cool and straightforward. He said, "I only buy cars that I would drive," which explains 99% of the cars on the lot.

And yeah, I'll most likely see you around. I live in Schwenksville.
Figured that was the case...as for a place that small, they have what seems like a decently often new group of cars. And always fun to see the wide variety as well. I dig a place u can walk into and pic from a defender 90, forester xt, e46 , H1 hummer, c63amg,etc,etc.

See ya around (green SH forester xt, lowered with black wheels,etc)!!!!

·
Registered
2007 Subaru 5sp
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to update this thread! So far Scoobaru has treated me well. I pressed in a new left rear Timken wheel bearing, did a new front right ball joint, and got the timing belt/wp/etc on. So far have about 1000 miles on it, and am loving every minute. Weather Tech floor mats and a Curtis hitch just came in, which puts her into full 'work attire'. The struts are a hair noisy but aren't blown yet, so I'm tossing around what I want to do in that respect. I'm a big guy for simplicity anymore, but can't justify grabbing four new struts and Swift Springs for the nearly the same price as DMG or FortuneAuto coils. The only thing I'm worried about is ride quality, which I feel the DMGs would be a bit better suited for. Who knows, we'll see.

Thankfully I checked the belt out as soon as I did. It was very obviously just recently replaced with an OEM belt and WP, however, they didn't properly clearance the belt guide, so it was eating the belt. I redid everything just for peace of mind, including all pulleys, WP, etc.

All done! I really need to find an STI TMIC or something, these fins are smashed. Also mildly annoyed that I don't have the engine cover.

Some fool tried replacing the ball joint that is falling off of this thing with no luck, so instead of drilling it out, heating it, or easyouting, or all three, they opted to weld a nut back on said broken bolt and leave it.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru 5sp
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks good man, gotta feel great to check that subie doozie off the list.
Thanks dude! And yeah, it definitely does. I do Scooby tbelts all the time at work, so working on your own car is always a nuisance. I'm hoping this thing is pretty worry free after this little string of maintenance (mainly hoping head gaskets won't be an issue later on).

·
Registered
2007 Subaru 5sp
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Josh-

If you could move it to the Member Journal section, that would be awesome.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru 5sp
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can't catch a break in this thing. The cold is killing her.

New(used) OE axle up front, and a Moog ball joint after both failed.

Temp has been going crazy for a while now, so I just did rad caps and a new thermostat. Fixed that issue.

Driving home last night got a P0011 (sweet). So I have a Moroso pickup tube on order and am going to pull that stupid filter out of the turbo feed.

But my bets are on the oil pickup cracking, as it's been viscously cold lately.

Someone convince me that this car will be reliable soon!

·
Registered
2004 Forester xt 5 speed
282 Posts
It will be a fantastic and reliable car for you once you get all the little stuff taken care of that needed to be done. Glad you checked the timing belt, that would have sucked if it had failed as soon as you got the car. You're gonna love this car like the rest of us love ours if you just stick with it and fix all the things that the previous owner obviously neglected.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts