Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you put your shifter in "2", does your car split power 50 front / 50 rear? Is it locked at 50/50 even when the front or rear has no traction or can it direct power to rear 100%?

·
Registered
2009 Impreza OutbackSport 4EAT
387 Posts
it's a good question I think has been answered before. I believe the answer is yes, but I can't be sure. I know when I was driving in snow I did use 2 and it had amazing traction. In fact I couldn't spin the wheels at all.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
2nd Locks it into 50/50, which is the max split. In D it is usually in 90/10 until slip is detected then it jumps to higher splits until it maxes/grips. Subarus however cannot send anything past 50% to rear. 2nd is my favorite for offroading and snow!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
To correct both the above slightly.......

In manual second the MPT clutch is locked to a nominal 50/50, this is of course a speculative value as the actual torque split will depend on the grip available at each axle (so if the rear is on tarmac and the front in the air it will be 100% rear!) and the rotational speed (corner where the front 'needs' to travel further and it effectively shifts the torque split rewards).

Having said all that I am not convinced that the clutch pack is locked solid as the torque wind up in corners would be dreadful, so I suspect its somewhat less than fully locked.

Simon

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
^^ it still is not recommended to do sharp corning in second while on dry pavement because it is fairly solid, at least for auto I believe.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
To correct both the above slightly.......

In manual second the MPT clutch is locked to a nominal 50/50, this is of course a speculative value as the actual torque split will depend on the grip available at each axle (so if the rear is on tarmac and the front in the air it will be 100% rear!) and the rotational speed (corner where the front 'needs' to travel further and it effectively shifts the torque split rewards).

Having said all that I am not convinced that the clutch pack is locked solid as the torque wind up in corners would be dreadful, so I suspect its somewhat less than fully locked.

Simon
In 1st its pretty much locked, although I don't think the clutch pack is ever static, iirc it "pulses", except when the FWD fuse is in. In 2nd I feel that theres more variation. In 1 it does bind quite heavily on dry pavement ( if mine is in 1st, I can't actually make the corner to pull into my garage).

Would have been nice if subaru had at least given us the VTD on all the turbo models, or at least a LSD in the front diff if equipped with MPT. The MPT gets more disappointing the longer you have the car and the more worn out it gets.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
so what does better in snow and also when pulling a trailer. auto or manual?

I have the 5 speed in my legacy wagon and it loves the snow. but it usre does not like pulling my lawn care trailer when stopped on a hill.

I am still working on getting my Bike sold to get my first Forester. so reading as much as I can. looking for a 2001 S. with the sun roof.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,577 Posts
so what does better in snow and also when pulling a trailer. auto or manual?

I have the 5 speed in my legacy wagon and it loves the snow. but it usre does not like pulling my lawn care trailer when stopped on a hill.

I am still working on getting my Bike sold to get my first Forester. so reading as much as I can. looking for a 2001 S. with the sun roof.
I think you are better off in any car with auto, trailering. Most will tell you that the manual may be slightly better than auto in snow. I have auto and I'm happy but I don't push it.

I think to be honest: In manual you have a true AWD all the time. In auto its more AWD "on demand".

·
Registered
2009 Impreza OutbackSport 4EAT
387 Posts
I think you are better off in any car with auto, trailering. Most will tell you that the manual may be slightly better than auto in snow. I have auto and I'm happy but I don't push it.

I think to be honest: In manual you have a true AWD all the time. In auto its more AWD "on demand".
I disagree. In Auto you have AWD all the time. I've never slipped in my 4eat Auto trans yet. I've creeped up a steep slippery driveway with success. I go around a corner and up a steep wet road with success. There is no sense that I don't have AWD all the time. I've read that Auto is better in the snow because you can creep. Manual you have to let out the clutch and it's not easy to creep in a manual.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I disagree. In Auto you have AWD all the time. I've never slipped in my 4eat Auto trans yet. I've creeped up a steep slippery driveway with success. I go around a corner and up a steep wet road with success. There is no sense that I don't have AWD all the time. I've read that Auto is better in the snow because you can creep. Manual you have to let out the clutch and it's not easy to creep in a manual.
I think he's referring to it as a gradient, not total on/off AWD. Subaru AWD in Autos is simply more dynamic in an auto trans because of the variable torque split.

As far as fun and full time 50/50 split, manual is the way to go (albeit offroad isn't the best).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,577 Posts
I think he's referring to it as a gradient, not total on/off AWD. Subaru AWD in Autos is simply more dynamic in an auto trans because of the variable torque split. .
Yea..you have the 50/50 split all the time. I can easily see it would be smoother and more predictable even though I have never driven one.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
But in manumatic (at least on the SH's) we have that too...

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
But in manumatic (at least on the SH's) we have that too...
nope SH are still MPT, just with less variability, and also with VDC which does quite well. The ultimate for an auto is the VTD, which iirc was only available in the forester in the 07/08 forester sport. The mpt is just fine for a daily driver, it is ALWAYS sending power to all 4 wheels, just like every modern awd subaru.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
The wifes Outback is more of a tank when its in 1. Trust me, when I put hers in 1, it binds like crazy on dry pavement. :rock: The auto is the off-roading transmission by choice.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
thanks for the input, sounds like auto would be what I need, my trailer I would be pulling is just a modified boat trailer with a John deere ZTR mower and then once in awhile would need to be able to tow my helicopter, I am mainly looking for being able to carry the helicopter to out of state rotorcraft conventions such as Mentone Indy. and some in Fla. helicopter is about 620 lbs empty.

below is a pic of the Helicopter and of my current lawn care tow car.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
For towing my SF manual coped no problem with a 1.75ton trailer/car combination (EU max towing weight is 1.8ton), having 265lbft of torque at 2,500rpm helps mind!

Simon

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
:icon_eek: That is one cool helo!!!! You won't have a problem pulling that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts