Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like everyone else in the forum, I'm getting ready to change out my tires and rims on my '05 FXT.

I'm considering the Avon Tech M550 A/S tires (235/50/R17) on a +48mm offset rim. If the threads on the forum are right, the math works out and this combination should fit w/o any problem and I'm close to OEM tire size.

Is anyone running this combination or something similiar? Any rubbing?

Thanks in advance!!

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Subinator said:
Like everyone else in the forum, I'm getting ready to change out my tires and rims on my '05 FXT.

I'm considering the Avon Tech M550 A/S tires (235/50/R17) on a +48mm offset rim. If the threads on the forum are right, the math works out and this combination should fit w/o any problem and I'm close to OEM tire size.

Is anyone running this combination or something similiar? Any rubbing?

Thanks in advance!!
I am assuming this is on a 17" x 7.5" wheel, correct? That is the wheel size I am running and I am running 235/55/ZR17 Pirellis. You will be fine w/ your 235/50/R17.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
I'm curious about these tires too. Anyone here using them? Are the sidewalls reasonably stiff?

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sirwilliam:
I'm going to use ROTA Battles for the wheels. 17"x7.5. According to their website, the AVON's have the following specs:
Rim Width: 7.5"
Section Diameter: 9.5
Tread Width: 8.6
Tire Diameter: 26.2
Revs/Mile: 789

If the thread on Tire fitment is accurate, then 9.5 is about as wide as you want to go with a +48mm offset. 26.2 is supposedly the same size as the OE tire. Not sure how the Avon rolls fewer times/mile that the same size OE tire (792). The tire gets great review on TireRack.com. . .

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
I have a set on my car.

Dry traction is great

Noise is minimal

Dirt/mud traction is pretty good

Snow is pretty good

Ice, well it could use better grip here but it is a UHP All season.

I would certainly buy them again, but I am going to dedicated summer/winter setups this year.

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
I have also scoped out the Avon's due to their good ratings, however be prepared for a weight penalty across their entire line- according to Tire Rack, the 235/50-17 weighs 31 lbs.!:eek:mgwtfbbq

To compare apples and oranges, the stock 16" Geofilanderers only weigh ~20-21lbs....

So, I'm shopping for a 2XX/XX-17 that weighs as close to that 20lb. mark as possible (all the while providing ultimate ride, grip and handling, of course) :wink:

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
i'm on my second set of Avon Tech M550's - 215/55/ZR17's

this size is almost an exact match to the stock oem geolanders.

i was tempted to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - 225/50/17 this time, but they were almost twice the price.

the avons are great on dry and wet roads - and they do very well in snow and dirt. they are an incredible bargain for the price.

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
wrx_now_forester_xt said:
i'm on my second set of Avon Tech M550's - 215/55/ZR17's

this size is almost an exact match to the stock oem geolanders.

i was tempted to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - 225/50/17 this time, but they were almost twice the price.

the avons are great on dry and wet roads - and they do very well in snow and dirt. they are an incredible bargain for the price.
That's good to know... I've always had the Pilot Sport A/S and they have really spoiled me. If the Avons even come close to compare to the Michelins, I might be inclined to give them a try.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
My second set will be migrating over to my wife's FXT. There are about 12K logged so far on these tires - and there is plenty of tread left. For a comparison - I did a "Penny Test" on the old compared to the new - and was amazed at the results. The old set shows very little wear - despite spirited daily driving - and making it through a really bad New England winter.

I'll take some pictures this weekend to show the difference between the old and the new... 8)

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
FXT22 said:
I have also scoped out the Avon's due to their good ratings, however be prepared for a weight penalty across their entire line- according to Tire Rack, the 235/50-17 weighs 31 lbs.!:eek:mgwtfbbq

To compare apples and oranges, the stock 16" Geofilanderers only weigh ~20-21lbs....

So, I'm shopping for a 2XX/XX-17 that weighs as close to that 20lb. mark as possible (all the while providing ultimate ride, grip and handling, of course) :wink:
But the Avons sidewalls are not made out of left over extra thin condoms either ;)

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
Wow, 31 lbs. is hefty! :eek:mgwtfbbq At that weight the sidewalls had better be stiff! Does anyone know the weight of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S? I've never checked it...

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Does anyone know the weight of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S? I've never checked it...
In what size?
235/50/17 is 27lbs
225/50/17 is 24lbs
225/55/17 is 27lbs
225/45/17 is 23lbs

this all came from tirerack.com

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
more avon m550 weight info from the tire rack for comparison...

215/55/17 - 26lbs
225/45/17 - 27lbs
225/50/17 - 30lbs

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
Ah, thank you! So in 225/50/17 the Avons weigh 6 lbs. more per corner than the Pilots. That seems like a pretty significant difference... :think:

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I corresponded with the Tire-Rack sale folks, because I was pretty set on getting ROTA (+48mm offset) wheels with 235/50/17 Avon's and I wanted to see if they could get ROTA.. None of their recommended wheels had the +48mm offset, they were all +50 and 52mm. Here's the answer I got.

"Did you notice that you are required to enter your specific vehicle information before you could see any wheels for your car? This is because the wheels we carry are not universal fit, but what the wheel manufacturers call hubcentric fit. This means the wheels are made to the engineering specifications as established by Subaru in this case. What this means to you is that the bolt pattern, center bore diameter and the offset based on your vehicle and the wheel width are correct and guaranteed. If the wheel is not the same width as your stock wheel, you cannot go by your stock offsets. Offset is based on steering geometry, and when the width of the wheel changes, the offset has to change proportionately to maintain the correct pivot point for accurate steering. Using the wrong offset on this car will cause it to not drive a straight line, and be very unpredictable in handling and cornering." - Tire Rack

The answer makes sense analytically, but I'm not going to mock up my car on AutoCad to ensure the steering point is accurate. I've played with the geometry on the Tyre Fitment Calculator, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

My question is, if I change to a 235/50/17 do I REALLY need to change to a wider offset to compensate for the wider tire? Or maybe I should just follow their fitment guidelines and settle for a 215/55/17. .

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
235/50/17 is fine provided you have a wheel with an offset of +48mm, + or - 2mm. Also providing that the section width of the tire does not cause rubbing issues with the rear strut.
I wouldn't change wheel offsets to counter the width of the tire. It seems as though the tirerack staff is trying to do things by some sort of book. This past Sunday I sat down and made the final decision on my wifes tires for her MPV. I decided to go with Kuhmo Solus KH-16 in 235/55/17. Her stock tire is a 215/60/17 having a diameter of 27.2. So, thoretically speaking, a 235/55/17 also has a 27.2 diameter. If you sit down and do the math both tire sizes are just .020" different in diameter. Stock is 27.157" and 235/55/17 is 27.177. Well, on Monday morning I get a call from a sales rep informing me that the tire I chose for her van will not fit. He says the diameter is larger and width is more than stock while suggesting I stick with the manufacturers recommended size of 215/60/17. I was glad he called because I then decided to go with 225/55/17 in the same tire. The section width is 9.2 and tread is 8.9 with a 26.8" diameter. I did my research before placing the order and felt confident with my decision and I hate when someone else tries to tell me I made the wrong choice. If I hadn't felt uneasy with the 9.6 section width of the 235's I would have stayed with them. The tires came today and I think I made the right choice in changing to the 225/55 but the point is we must go with what we feel is the right move sometimes. Not even the guys at tirerack know it all.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
I may be buggered in my idea of 235/17s since I'm runnning a 42mm offset.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'd take a look at the Kumho ASX in that size. I'ts only 27lbs per tire and only $104 each while still having a AA traction rating. I'm running Avon M500s on my OBS now and am not that happy with them. I'm going to try the ASXs on it next because I've had great experiences with Kumho tires giving really good performance for the least money.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts