Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Below is an e-mail I just sent to Sean Sexton, VP Subaru - Ipd/RalliTEK. He & his shop installed the turbo upgrade in my '03 several years ago. It's never, in my opinion, performed properly & there wasn't much in the way of product support. :shake: The product support from PerfectPower for the SMT6 smart tuner was topnotch! :biggrin:

You can view the AVO Turbo kit here.
You can view the PerfectPower SMT6 smart tuner here.

I opted for direct links to my pictures, since the "jumbo" pictures made this post too difficuilt to read. :smile:
Link 2.5 BAR MAP sensor poor solder joint picture here.
PerfectPower AMP-2, 2.5 BAR MAP sensor installed picture here.
PerfectPower SMT6 & AMP-2 (2.5 BAR MAP sensor) to ECM picture here.

Bobby...

Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 11:20:47 -0700
Subject: Re: AVO Turbo Kit problem... Resolved! Attn: Sean

Sean,

I installed the PerfectPower AMP-2, 2.5 BAR MAP sensor that I purchased from you for $99.99 & the problems I've had since your shop installed the AVO Turbo kit has been resolved! The Link 2.5 BAR MAP sensor you installed was defective! Let me explain...

When the PerfectPower AMP-2, 2.5 BAR MAP sensor corrected the poor performance issue that has plagued my '03 since the kit was installed, I was curious as to what was in the "black box". The since the Link 2.5 BAR MAP sensor wasn't sealed , I decided to look inside. See my attached picture, you'll have to zoom in (my cheapo camera sucks!), on the area on the circuit board that I circled in yellow. That's the ground connection for the Link 2.5 BAR MAP sensor & yes, it's a poor solder joint . The wire just moves around. I'd guess the connection was intermittent, if there was any connection at all.

It feels good to have finally resolved this problem. In my opinion, you or your shop should have offered more product support, but that's water under the bridge. On the positive side, I gained a lot of knowledge on the AVO Turbo kit, especially how the PerfectPower SMT6 is piggybacked onto the ECM & how it does it "magic". With the help of Godfrey, PerfectPower technical support, I can program & load my custom MAPs into the SMT6 (smart tuner).

The AVO Turbo kit is now operating flawlessly, providing plenty of power to red line in all gears, with boost set to 6 psi with my GiZZMO MS-IBC boost controller. Now I'm 100% satisfied that my '03 is complete & I'm ready to move on to my next project vehicle. I'm sure my son will enjoy this vehicle & the insurance won't be too bad, since it not a turbo model...:wink:

Thank you.

Reply from Sean:

Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 11:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: AVO Turbo Kit problem... Resolved! Attn: Sean
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
References: <[email protected]>

Nice work!!! I'm glad the car is running properly now! I will let AVO know of the issue you found.

Thank you,

Sean Sexton, VP Subaru - Ipd/RalliTEK

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts