Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A record high!

We are on the verge of chaos. I can feel it already!

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
It's horrendous! Had to stop for fuel on the way back from Scarborough and the robbing gits wanted 130p per litre of 95!!

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
1. Somewhat peeved that Tesco has stopped their "spend over £50 and get 5p/litre off fuel" promotion. Damn them!

2. A very useful website - Petrolprices.com

·
Registered
2004 WRX PPP Wagon Manual
153 Posts
£1.29 near me.....and going on a 600 mile round surf trip tomorrow, boards will have to go inside to save on drag and taking the tent to save some money for beer, still managed to spend the £60 a month though for a few new car bits in the post this morning :biggrin:

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FF nice result! :rock:

Maybe it was 129 a litre :huh: Duff info on the radio ??

No wonder it was nearly £70 the other day (COUGH!!!)

I am going to get my bike back into service I think. Too many cold short trips...

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
thing is most people who whinge, present company excluded of course, wont do jack apart from whinge.

Last year a mate of mine organised a fuel protest and over 3000 people put their names down on various forums, saying they'd attend. Push comes to shove and just over 290 turned up. It made the news as they did a go slow on the motorway, but the police pulled the organisers to one side and said they would make life difficult if they didnt cease and desist, not good when there where lots of modified cars there.

If you want cheaper fuel then the people you need to be pushing are the government, nealry 80p a litre is tax and VAT, and the higher the price goes the more they'll make. However and its a big however, I dont see any of the other partys pushing any changes to the already considerable tax burden we have to pay on fuel.

general election coming up folks, make your choices!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,597 Posts
I take it we are talking SUL?

In Wales today it was £1.21 in Sainsburys.

In Southend Yesterday it was £1.17 ordinary or £1.25 SUL.

Regards

AM

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
122 this morning... is there a PetrolHead Party we can vote for at the election?

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo Manual
118 Posts
Personally I love it.

Pricey petrol keeps the scabs and mimsers off the road, so more fun for me.

Petrol is only a small part of the cost of running a car, but the psychological effect an increase has on people's willingness to use their cars helps congestion.

It's also a form of taxation that the great unwashed will struggle to avoid (unlike driving without insurance) and again will help encourage a reduction in road use by these idiots.

I use around 1800 litres p.a. covering 10k miles - every 1p increase costs me an extra £18/yr. Paying £405/yr for road tax and £300 for insurance, as well as perhaps £2000/yr depreciation (58 FXT) keeps it in perspective.

Not worth worrying about as whoever gets/stays in after the election WILL RAPE US SILLY for not being on benefits/retired/still in nappies.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
bit of a simplistic view there ducalio.

petrol might not cost much more on a personal level but its the other things an increase in price affects. because the haulage system in this country is utterly dependant on just in time delivery, the increase in fuel price is passed onto the retailer and ultimately the consumer. so eventually all goods go up in price not just fuel.

and we all know what goes up on the high street. usually stays up in price!

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
yeah.......... Mike just hit the nail on the head!..

for example!

All my spare parts to fix the machines i build come from America, the parts themselves are reasonably priced, but the shipping costs have increased astronomically due to the fuel cost increase! This is making my customers find spare parts elsewhere.

But i do agree it is time for the velocipede to come out of the shed... especially now the nice weather is here!

I was in Abu Dhabi last week and we had the "Fuel" discussion..... the guy i was working with came out with "it only costs £21 to fill the Cayenne up"....... I felt like punching him!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Trouble is, its not just 1p increase we're talking about. The recent fuel duty increase may only cost £18 per 10k per year but the rest of the financial mismanagement that's gone on has seen the value of the pound tumble and consequently, fuel has increased by at least 20p per litre in the last 12months. Which means, according to Ducalio's maths) an extra £320 per year (after income tax and NI) that the average motorist has to find.

And it's not just the great unwashed that you talk of who will be feeling the pinch because largely, they don't cover as many miles as someone who doesn't claim benefits and instead, commutes to work every day to earn money and pay tax.

Personally, I do 20k miles per year just getting to work so in the last 12 months, my fuel has gone up by £640 per year and that's before I have to pay tax on the money I earn to pay for the fuel I need to use to commute to work in the first place.

Now I don't mind paying tax so long as I can see some improvement in services such as the NHS, police, fire, roads, etc.. The trouble is, I honestly can't.

Thankfully we have an election coming up in the next few weeks which gives us an opportunity to have a modicum of a say in the running of the country. The problem as I see it is there's no real alternative - either way we're going to have to pay more tax in order to pay off the debt. I just hope we don't have to endure another 5 years of the current rabble - if we do, I shall seriously consider selling up and leaving this sinking ship.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
What do you recon? Could the fuel prices jeopardise the next run out?

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
you know mdg, thinking about it I think you might be onto something there.

If the petrol price is so high that people think twice before going for a drive or going out in the car then the population is controlled on in their own homes :crazy: or is it!

SUL is £1.27 at tesco and v-power is £1.29 round here

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,597 Posts
Wait & see.

If the consumption drops like a stone, the oil companies will move.

Regards

AM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts