Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchaed a new 2010 Forester and have found that if I use the Aux input for the stereo there's a high pitched whine. It seems to change pitch slightly when the engine revs, as if it's partly from interference from the engine (sort of like how sometimes turning on an appliance near a radio can impact the reception slightly).

Anyone else have this problem, and if so is there a fix?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Ground noise. Could be caused by cheap accessory. Cheapest, although not always a fix, is to run a wire directly from the chassis of the radio to a body ground. It's a pretty simple thing to try without having to cut anything up. (I'm assuming your accessory plug is in the face of the radio?) The sound is usually caused by the alternator. Sometimes a spare ground wire there will help too, but probably not. Take it back and get a new radio. I bet dollars to donuts the problem goes away.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Could be a bad connection at the jack or the wire your using :icon_question: Cant offer much other then that as mine seems to work's fine.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Ground noise. Could be caused by cheap accessory. Cheapest, although not always a fix, is to run a wire directly from the chassis of the radio to a body ground. It's a pretty simple thing to try without having to cut anything up. (I'm assuming your accessory plug is in the face of the radio?) The sound is usually caused by the alternator. Sometimes a spare ground wire there will help too, but probably not. Take it back and get a new radio. I bet dollars to donuts the problem goes away.
FYI The aux plug is in the cubby under the armrest not on the radio. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester
113 Posts
Mine does that until I plug an mp3 player into it - no noise from the radio afterwards. It's probably the loose plug. Plug your mp3 player and see if it goes away.

also, see if you can hear your mp3 player. I am converting most of my favs to cd because the aux volume is too low (main problem is low volume with mp3s and ipods to save kid's hearing)

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
Mine does that until I plug an mp3 player into it - no noise from the radio afterwards. It's probably the loose plug. Plug your mp3 player and see if it goes away.

also, see if you can hear your mp3 player. I am converting most of my favs to cd because the aux volume is too low (main problem is low volume with mp3s and ipods to save kid's hearing)
Yeah, mine does that too. The buzzing goes away when I plug my I-pod in:icon_eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts