Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
I've not used one but I've seen simple devices you can plug audio source to and transmit it over radio-frequency , tune your radio and play it. Would it be an option? I'm sure technically you may get prety good quality.

·
Registered
434 Posts
alexmolin said:
I've not used one but I've seen simple devices you can plug audio source to and transmit it over radio-frequency , tune your radio and play it. Would it be an option? I'm sure technically you may get prety good quality.
If you're talking about an FM modulator, don't waste your money. The sound quality is crap and if you drive into an area that's using the frequency you're modulating, you'll get bleed through. If you decide to go that route, go for a wired FM modulator. Like this - http://www.jvcservice.com/store/ProductDetail.asp?part=112C3159 This will cut off your FM broadcast all together when your accessory is turned on. The sound quality isn't the best but it's a heck of a lot better than wireless FM modulators. But, at the same time, for $40, and if you can use it, this little "jazzy Engineering" doohicky is pretty sweet.

A

·
0 Posts
mbroadhe said:
If you're talking about an FM modulator, don't waste your money. The sound quality is crap and if you drive into an area that's using the frequency you're modulating, you'll get bleed through.
Do you mean it's a way worse then broadcasting quality you get from some FM station?
Or you mean high-end audio speaker system installed in car. Mine is the stock one. So you I would expect something that gives me this reasonable level of quality.
Another thing, I drive 99% of time in the same area (say 50 km radius) and I don't think FM bands layout changes drastically there. You may always find band which is not used. In case you do need it there is way to change the transmitting frequency.

K

·
0 Posts
After wasting my money on two of these plug-in devices, I eventually bit the bullet and had a new Pioneer HU installed, with a DIN pocket underneath to fill the space (the iPod cable comes out of this when it's open). This also requires an iPod adapter. The resulting sound is CD quality. You access the iPod through the radio or a little remote that comes with it. Unless you are savvy, patient, and have time on your hands, I would advise having it done by pros. Talk to at least a couple and get an idea if they know what they're talking about; some discussion on this forum suggests that not all of them do. The FM modulators were OK with news podcasts, but music was awful: no bass, no depth, little volume. Empty frequences and bleed were not the problem here in the Milwaukee-Madison area. I tried DLO and Kensington; the Kensington was the better of the two. No need, IMHO, to change the speakers, although my FXT has the upgraded ones and sub.

·
Registered
434 Posts
alexmolin said:
Do you mean it's a way worse then broadcasting quality you get from some FM station?
Or you mean high-end audio speaker system installed in car. Mine is the stock one. So you I would expect something that gives me this reasonable level of quality.
Another thing, I drive 99% of time in the same area (say 50 km radius) and I don't think FM bands layout changes drastically there. You may always find band which is not used. In case you do need it there is way to change the transmitting frequency.
Well, when I used the modulator with my Sirius PNP, the sound was worse than the broadcast quality from my local radio station. As quoted a above, "no bass, no depth, little volume". It doesn't really matter if you have high end audio equipment in the car. If it sounds like crap with high end equipment, it's gonna sound worse on the low end.
I drive approximately 25 miles to work. Within' that twenty five miles, I received a fair amount of bleed through from running into other stations frequency. When you start your daily drive, check the radio stations. When you get to your destination, check if there are any other stations you get that you didn't when you started. Sure, there is a way to change the frequency on the FM mod. but how long will it take till your tired of doing that?
What exactly are you planning to use the FM mod. for?

·
Registered
81 Posts
According to the Subaru Legacy Forum Post the Head Unit is incorperated with the Automatic Climat Control. Is this true??? Does this mean that I can't change my Head unit out for an aftermarket unit?

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
883 Posts
fblittle said:
According to the Subaru Legacy Forum Post the Head Unit is incorperated with the Automatic Climat Control. Is this true??? Does this mean that I can't change my Head unit out for an aftermarket unit?
you can... but the people with the Legacy can't

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
mbroadhe said:
That would suck. I'd be really ticked off about that.:tempertantrum
My friend installed the Eclipse headunit that Sirius pushes, about $1800 that has Nav and ipod and optional rearview camera crap in his Legacy GT. It was a bloody nightmare for him. The first shop fried his climate control and he had to have that replaced. He eventually got it to work, but it took 1.5 months.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Galager said:
My friend installed the Eclipse headunit that Sirius pushes, about $1800 that has Nav and ipod and optional rearview camera crap in his Legacy GT. It was a bloody nightmare for him. The first shop fried his climate control and he had to have that replaced. He eventually got it to work, but it took 1.5 months.
How does he like it now though? That is the series I am looking at putting into the Forester. Do you know what model he has?

·
Registered
06 xt ltd
25 Posts
Aux In Forester Dilemma

I contacted Jazzy about the Aux-in board, seems it won't work, but it gave me a thought. I have the Harman-Kardan Drive and Play unit for my IPOD, but its' hard wired FM, and not what I'd hoped for.

What if I get a secondary unit, installed in the dash "cupboard ", dedicated to the IPOD/H-K unit only, and piggyback onto the speakers on the factory set-up ?

Could I ? Should I ? Wood eye ? ( punchline to a joke I can't remember ! )
Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Steve
2006 XT Premium

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Seems to me the aux-in mod on scoobymods is the easiest way to go...

P

·
0 Posts
fblittle said:
I recently talked to an aftermarket place that new nothing about the Forester (not common here) and he did warn that some cars do this and when it happens you have installation issues galore. I told him I'd have to research the topic but it's good to know Foresters don't have that wiring issue.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
pretzelb said:
I recently talked to an aftermarket place that new nothing about the Forester (not common here) and he did warn that some cars do this and when it happens you have installation issues galore. I told him I'd have to research the topic but it's good to know Foresters don't have that wiring issue.
Only the Legacy/Outback will have this issue. The Forester has a stand alone radio, so no worries. In the Legacy, the auto climate control is piggy-back off of the radio head unit for power and makes any radio changes a serious undertaking for even a professional.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Seems to me the aux-in mod on scoobymods is the easiest way to go...
Remember not all Forester have 13 pin socket on the CD changers. My 2003 does not have it, I bought a 2005 STI Cd changer and goin to get the Aux Jazzy board an I am set.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd Stg2
14 Posts
FWIW - the aux-in board has finally been tested on the P-130 6CD Forester radio (w/weatherband) and it does indeed work great. The board and installation steps are identical to the 05/06 Impreza so I didn't develop separate instructions.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
Jazzy, you should add the Forester application to your page. I might try it, since no matter what I got a bad ground loop/alternater whine through the 13 pin adapter that I soldered up. Who knows.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts