Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Auto are the prefered transmission for pulling heavy loads at low speeds. Pulling a boat our of the water on a steep ramp is just one case. I love the manual but, have found it impractical for my traffic situation. I also get slightly better gas mileage with the Automatic. The only reason for a Suby manual is the fun of having or think your having more control. I've also found that the AT on average will perform faster shifting unless the MT driver is consistanly very very good and pays attention 100 % during the shifting sequence. I still love the feel of the MT but, the data goes with the AT today.

D

·
0 Posts
I agree auto is easier to drive faster than manual for most drivers. I prefer manual because I love to heel and toe and I love driving stick. However my Jeep is an auto for the rare off road excursion, towing and because I would not drive it in a manner where heel and toe would apply. :)

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
My biggest deciding factor would be where is the car going to spend the majority of its life. By that I mean is it in the city or on the open roads.

When I lived in Japan 80% of the cars on the road are Autos because of the really bad traffic jams through the majority of the day. Everyone buys autos as there easier to use.

My preference is for a semi auto gearbox, as I have in my Mercedes. Put it in drive, its an auto, or if you want to play, push left to change down a gear and pull right to change up. Even on my mates Mitsubishi Galant VR4 he has a semi auto. Definately the way to go.

My Forester is Auto though as where I live its traffic jam city, but we bought an auto because my wife only drives automatics!

Mike

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
It also appears that the automatic transmission vehicles have a more sophisticated, computer-controlled all wheel drive system.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When, if ever is Subaru going to put a 5spd semi automatic in a Forester? I want it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,723 Posts
erhayes said:
When, if ever is Subaru going to put a 5spd semi automatic in a Forester? I want it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it that much of an improvement over the 4 speed semi auto they offer now ?

The big drawback of the current auto is the diff they used. Sure it saves gas but it really hurts performance.

Does an extra gear really offer that much given the power output of the XT ?

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,365 Posts
I don't do serious off roading with the FXT, so stick-shift for me. I live and commute in bumper to bumper + hilly areas, but driving an automatic will bore me to death. I enjoy the involvement of driving a manual - both hands and feet.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,587 Posts
Candy said:
Is it that much of an improvement over the 4 speed semi auto they offer now ?

The big drawback of the current auto is the diff they used. Sure it saves gas but it really hurts performance.

Does an extra gear really offer that much given the power output of the XT ?
Candy-
I'm confused by your comments...first you refer to a 4 speed semi-automatic. By that, do you mean an automatic that allows you to select gear choice, insofar as you are within the rpm range?

Then you comment that the drawback is the differential that comes with the current auto (4EAT). The differential ratio in US Foresters with 4EAT is a rather low 4.44...are you recommending an even lower gear ratio?

Finally you ask if an extra gear would offer that much? The 4EAT does lose out to the 5MT in the first 200 feet, but holds up well thereafter. I imagine if a 5EAT were to put lower and closer ratios in the first two gears, some of that first 200 foot time would improve, making it more competitive with the 5MT.

My choice would be to go for a 5th overdrive (economy) gear, to improve mileage...I'm satisfied with the current power available with the 4EAT.

By the way, I agree with the posters above who prefer the automatic for offroading duties...slow-as-she-goes kind of crawling is best done by automatics, in the absence of a transfer case/reduction gears setup. Even then, I prefer automatics.
Re Kevin's comment about 4EAT's downhill slowing ability, I agree (even with a transfer case). I don't know how rugged our Subaru's ATs are, but a technique I've employed on occasion where more control is needed on a perilously steep downhill section, is to begin it in REVERSE...and applying GRADUALLY more throttle until a controlled rate of speed is attained...this technique should probably not be employed for lengthy sections (AT heating issues), but has been very effective, over the years, in a variety of 4WDs I've offroaded in.

WHich when followed to (to me) the logical extreme, begs the question, "Does the 4EAT's AWD feature send optimum traction decisions in downhill deceleration scenarios?"
I say it does, in the context of winter driving on ice...it's been my limited experience that it's as effective in slowing as our ABS. Any comments?
-Quick (enough!)

·
German tech
3,723 Posts
Quicksilver said:
Candy-
I'm confused by your comments...first you refer to a 4 speed semi-automatic. By that, do you mean an automatic that allows you to select gear choice, insofar as you are within the rpm range?
I am referring to the Sportshift we have here on the 4 speed auto and what I have selected in my XT

Then you comment that the drawback is the differential that comes with the current auto (4EAT). The differential ratio in US Foresters with 4EAT is a rather low 4.44...are you recommending an even lower gear ratio?
I am referring to the diff in diff ratio between the auto and manual in the MY06

Finally you ask if an extra gear would offer that much? The 4EAT does lose out to the 5MT in the first 200 feet, but holds up well thereafter. I imagine if a 5EAT were to put lower and closer ratios in the first two gears, some of that first 200 foot time would improve, making it more competitive with the 5MT.
I think it is more the effect of the difference in diff ratios between the auto and manual.

I'm satisfied with the current power available with the 4EAT.
As am I but it runs at a disadvantge to the manual. I still chose the Sportshift auto though.

Re Kevin's comment about 4EAT's downhill slowing ability, I agree (even with a transfer case). I don't know how rugged our Subaru's ATs are, but a technique
I asked Kevin the question re downhill if the Sportshift with the hold button on could be used to engine break

Hope that all makes sense

Edit - if the Sportshift wasn't on the XT auto I may have gone manual instead. I can deal with the slower take off of the auto but I wouldn't enjoy it as much without the Sportshift

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,107 Posts
I never understood why SOA saw fit to equip some of the Baja models with the 4EAT with sportshift, but not the Forester... :confused:

·
German tech
3,723 Posts
pleiad7 said:
I never understood why SOA saw fit to equip some of the Baja models with the 4EAT with sportshift, but not the Forester... :confused:
Well, in the USA perhaps but I'm glad we have Sportshift on the MY06 Forrie here in Aussie.

Just need to keep plugging away at the dealer to get the shift reversed.

S

·
0 Posts
yeah fxt should have came with sport shift....i had to change my trans. to a baja 4eat with vtd...due to too many broken front diffs...from abrupt launches in drag racing....plan to install sport shift from baja down the road...but for you guys with regular 4eat the valve body is the same part #...

·
German tech
3,723 Posts
subarhue said:
yeah fxt should have came with sport shift....i had to change my trans. to a baja 4eat with vtd...due to too many broken front diffs...from abrupt launches in drag racing....plan to install sport shift from baja down the road...but for you guys with regular 4eat the valve body is the same part #...
Why was it that the Aussie Forester got Sportshift on the XT MY06 and yet the USA model did not apparently ?

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,861 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Believe me, I don't think we are missing out much. Not yet I hope. The idea of the sport shift is nice but I personally think it is clunky and slow. I get to use my old man's 2005 Outback with sport shift occasionally and it takes forever for the gears to upshift-downshift in the sport mode. The transmission reacts faster just leaving it in auto. I find that the AT reacts faster on my Forester just moving through the gates manually.

A direct sequential manual (DSG) - now we're talking! With F1 style paddle shifts of course. I hope Mr Fuji is listening. This is the tranny of the future. Not only do you get the best of both worlds (AT-MT) but it is proven faster than a traditional MT. And for the hardcores, yes! - the sequential trannies are real manuals. I think VW/Audi currently has the most vehicles with this option.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,107 Posts
Yeah, paddle shifters would be awesome, of course... I've only driven a Mazda 3 with sportshift, and I was very impressed with how quick it shifted; by the time you took your hand off the shifter the car had already completed the gear change. That's too bad that Subaru can't match that.

·
German tech
3,723 Posts
tre36 said:
Believe me, I don't think we are missing out much. Not yet I hope. The idea of the sport shift is nice but I personally think it is clunky and slow. I get to use my old man's 2005 Outback with sport shift occasionally and it takes forever for the gears to upshift-downshift in the sport mode. The transmission reacts faster just leaving it in auto. I find that the AT reacts faster on my Forester just moving through the gates manually.

I can give personal account of the Sportshift in the Forester MY06 demos that I have driven.

The shift is very responsive and easy. No clunkiness and it is remarkably smooth.

Gear change was as fast if not moreso than the manual I drove and this was one of the primary reasons I got auto.

Perhaps the implementation in the MY06 Forester is better than the MY05 Outback.

1 - 20 of 311 Posts