Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
Nope, it's very easy. You'll only get about 4 quarts out of it when you drain it from the drain plug, so you can go about it a couple different ways. I'm not sure how old (or dark) your fluid is, but if it's dark red or brown/black then I would do a flush. You can go about it a couple of different ways.....

Way #1: Drain and put back in the exact amount that came out with fresh fluid. Drive it for 50-100 hundred miles, then repeat 1 or 2 more times until the fluid is back to bright red.

Way #2 (my preferred way): Get a new transmission filter (either OEM or a WIX one). Remove factory filter and drain plug. This way you get about 6 quarts out of each drain. Put the filter you just removed back on, refill fluid and drive around for about 50-100 miles, then drain it again using the same method of taking off the filter. This will drain another 6 quarts. After the second drain, install the new tranny filter, fill with fresh fluid and you're set. This way saves you a drain or two. But if you are a patient person, then the first method will work just fine. Since my tranny fluid was black (but NOT burned), I drained as much as I could per drain just to get rid of the old stuff.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,118 Posts
I have to agree with Blue Fox. I had the nerve to question his method. Didn't think he was right. But he is. I'd say though..while you are at it..replace the filter. I would recommend the OEM. Its possible that the WIX may not have the filter rate as the specify the same filter for both AT and engine.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Automatic
43 Posts
It can be faster and more efficient to do a flush instead of multiple drain & fills. When you do a multiple 'drain & fill' you are draining some of the fresh fluid out. When you do a flush (by pulling the return line off the radiator) the fluid change is more complete with less waste.

If the transmission fluid changing has been neglected then I'd recommend pulling the pan off as well. The magnet will definitely be in need of cleaning.

To answer question directly, yes the fluid should be easy to change. Just get a pan for the oil, a socket wrench to pull off the plug and the recommended amount of fluid to refill.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
It's simple. I just did it yesterday in my driveway. Much quicker than doing an oil change. The hardest part is locating the dipstick and pulling it out. Then you need to cram a funnel in there and make sure it doesn't pop out while you are pouring in the fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't even want to recall how I dealt with the dipstick the last time :icon_mad: It was the hardest thing I did till now or maybe I just ran out of patience. But this time? I'm not going to strain my eyes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts