What kind of fluid are you using....

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I been searching around and trying to figure it out, what kind of fluid should I use on my automatic transmission. It seems that there is not streight up answear. Some people stick to the Subaru fluid, and other used aftermarket synthetic. In the manual it states that only Subaru fluid should be used (but at the same time it's placed within the recomendation section) so it is confusing. Can you guys state, what you use, and for how long you been using, and issues if any? As well additional info on your interval, and weather you choose full flush, or drain and refill. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,112 Posts
I think the Subaru stuff is the best. I only do fill and drain. If the vehicle is on the level it takes about 8 ounces short of a gallon. I think its a good plan to do every 10 to 15Kmiles. Takes the same gasket on the plug as the engine plug. I have done maybe 5 drains and have replaced the gasket once.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. My research so far points out to the same conclusion that I am better off sticking to the oem stuff, just to be on the safe side. The only issue that I see that Subaru been going back and forth between their recomendation of what is acceptable and what is not. I wish there could be streight up answear.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd use OEM while under warranty, then anything that is equivalent to OEM.
This is my issue, if the Oem is no better than after market fluids, than why stick with the OEM to begin? And if Subaru fluid is so much better than the Oem why switching over to anything else later on? I would think that I would not care while the car is under warranty as they would have to prove that the fluid did the harm, rather than waiting after the warranty is up, when I am responsible for any outcome to my decision (good or bad). Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The subaru fluid is good. I don't think there are many alternatives to the atf HP that are actually better than it. There aren't really any better aftermarket alternatives.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,701 Posts
I had my son's '03 X & my '07 FSTX, both 4EAT, serviced last year at my trusted Subaru dealership. I was given an option to go with Red Line synthetic (higher cost). The process was a transmission flush & fill with Red Line synthetic. I decided this was the way to go for the ATF. I also went with Red Line for the front & rear differentials.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bobby, did you notice any major difference? Keep us updated of how your transmission is doing, so that we can have different option, rather than just sticking to the OEM stuff.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,701 Posts
The Red Line synthetic was an option at my Subaru dealership, so if there were any issues, the warranty would not be voided. :wink:

The shifting feels smoother. The fluid change was a precaution, since the '03 X is highly MODded & my '07 will be power MODded shortly. :icon_eek:

Bobby...
['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,112 Posts
Thanks Bob, did you notice any major difference? Keep us updated of how your transmission is doing, so that we can have different option, rather than just sticking to the OEM stuff.
The Subaru HP stuff was developed to address probably a "shudder" in the auto tranny. Obviously its composition is exactly what the Subary Tranny needs. I have 46K miles on my auto and shifts are very crisp and solid. I have done like 5 drain and fills using strictly Subaru stuff.

I have the Subaru Credit Card and get 500 bucks of Subaru products/services for free every year. Highli recommend it.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
540 Posts
If you are just draining and filling a gallon could you use Redline or Amsoil? I know you can mic Syn with Dino usually.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amsoil claims that is no problem. But you never know ;)

You know marketing people, they make a claim and when everything goes south they start pointing fingers lol hahahah ;)

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes newer one require, I don't know when it started, but I know my 2010 calls for only ATF - HP. So it dose not give you a lot of options. Even the Amsoil dose not claim to meet these specs.

·
Registered
2011 Forester touring 4EAT
39 Posts
Subaru ATF.....HP fluid

At the dealership I work at we use only Subaru HP fluid on all Subaru auto transmissions. The HP fluid is for all AT's 2006 and later but is backwards compatible with 2005 and previous. I do a 12 quart flush every 30,000 miles on all Subaru AT's except for the new CVT in the Legacy and Outback.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts