Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anything besides the trans computer control downshifting?
Mine (01) doesn't want to downshift unless I go to WOT but the wife's (08)downshifts much before that.
Is there anything else(sensor,valve,etc.)that could be causing this or is this just normal for for my year tranny?

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
Don't wanne downshift...
Mine is more then happy to downshift and if not I got my power button.
Sometimes I like to use my power button if I'm going at higher speeds and has some load in the back to make it downshift early enough to keep up the speed.
So if that's the case then ye I assume they are like that.

·
Registered
1999 (UKDM) S-Turbo (LT) 4EAT
217 Posts
I find mine annoying that it downshifts if you so much as think about it. I just can't take advantage of the torque because of it. I never use my power button since there's very little difference noticed when it's switched on. :shrug:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I think its probably unreasonable to compare a 4EAT setup for our turbo's with frogstars 4EAT on a totally different engine with a different target audiance!

Any other US based 2.5 owners got any valid comparison info?

Simon

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
I think its probably unreasonable to compare a 4EAT setup for our turbo's with frogstars 4EAT on a totally different engine with a different target audiance!

Any other US based 2.5 owners got any valid comparison info?

Simon
My '00 Outback 4EAT downshifts on its own just fine. It does it much more predictably than our drive-by-wire '05 4EAT.

I'd suggest a few fluid changes within 200 miles or so (flushing = bad mojo in my experience, better to just do a few changes).

Does not sound normal.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,210 Posts
Mine (01) doesn't want to downshift unless I go to WOT but the wife's (08)downshifts much before that.
Is there anything else(sensor,valve,etc.)that could be causing this or is this just normal for for my year tranny?
You mean it will only downshift if you invoke kickdown? That must be nigh on undriveable. The throttle position sensor plays a part. This thread has some info about tweaking it - look for the messages from nixxon.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/sluggish-automatic-3225/index2.html

-- Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts