Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XTEN
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I scan the various For Sale ads it seems that the clear majority of cars are automatics.

Were there in fact more automatics originally sold or is it just coincidence that since I am lookingfor a manual, I can't find one?

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I thought there were less autos out there. Im happy with the automatic, I didnt really go looking for one, but i gave it a test drive and thought it worked very well.

Now i have the Auto, i wonder why i never bought one years ago..... Its not lazy driving!!, id say it was sensible,... every where i go i end up in a traffic jam, so it makes sense!

·
Registered
2011 Volvo XC60 Auto
554 Posts
Must admit that I've always been very anti auto.

This is my first, and I have to say that I love it, but it does have the syncro shift when I want to play, and it works very well.

Not as quick to 60 as the manual tho

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Drove one, bought a manual.......

I can understand the appeal, and some modern full electronic auto's are superb, but to me its all abouut the car as a 'whole' and for me the Foz auto is not as good as the manual.

Simon

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X Lux. Aut.
551 Posts
I thought there were less autos out there. Im happy with the automatic, I didnt really go looking for one, but i gave it a test drive and thought it worked very well.

Now i have the Auto, i wonder why i never bought one years ago..... Its not lazy driving!!, id say it was sensible,... every where i go i end up in a traffic jam, so it makes sense!
Same for me.... after 20 years of manual :cool:

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
I had no choice in the matter as my wife cant (re: WONT!) drive a manual! Besides I live in Gridlock town and am glad 90% of the time I have an Auto.

Most imports will be autos more than manuals as in japan 80% of the vehicles sold are automatics, there are a few exceptions of course and they mornally attract a premium price.

·
Registered
2008 XTEN
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not knocking autos and indeed I agree that they have their place especially if you do a lot of stop start driving.

However a large element of wanting to buy a Forester is the fun factor and for me that means a manual box.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Having driven manual MGf and Eunos around Tokyo, I know why they drive auto's! Amazing the speed range you can get in first and second and how long you can hold off stopping!

Simon

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Having driven manual MGf and Eunos around Tokyo, I know why they drive auto's! Amazing the speed range you can get in first and second and how long you can hold off stopping!

Simon
hahaha! in tokyo during the day time you could actually just have a car with one gear and you'd be alright. Did make me wonder why anyone wants to drive there when the public transport is so good and the roads are so congested! :crazy:

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT
52 Posts
I run an Auto too - 2006 sportshift.

I would never have considered buying one as i love manuals and the Auto is not a patch on a manual Forester in terms of quick drivability and feedback. Anyone who says it is, is kidding themselves - or have not driven a manual Foz!!!

BUT

I bought the Auto becuase at the time it was a ridiculously cheap deal!! it drove very well indeed and the sportshift was pretty good to be fair. I have stuck 25k on the clock in 16 months and it has been 100% perfect for my type of motoring.

When i want a blast over the Cat 'n Fiddle, pop it into Sportshift and away you go. Pretty quick. The gearing is very good in 2nd / 3rd mated to this engine.

There was also a Sweedish test i saw that ran a standard 2006 (226bhp) auto 0-6 in 6.2 with no transmission loading launch. Not bad. Mine flies and still feels fresh with 80k on the clock.

It's all presonal preference and motoring type :icon_biggrin:

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
I have had 4 autos previously, all my own choice, and in all honestly can say that the only one I truely liked without reservation was the 7-speed in my last Merc S500L - was ALWAYS in the right gear when you weren't on the beans...always changed at the right time when you were - top gearbox.

Autos in Subarus, hmmmmm, now that's something I can't get my head around :biggrin:

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
I think the auto box on Subs is probably designed for farmer's wives and posh landed gentry who need a comfortable thirsty big car from which they can survey their estates... ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had no choice in the matter as my wife cant (re: WONT!) drive a manual! Besides I live in Gridlock town and am glad 90% of the time I have an Auto.

Most imports will be autos more than manuals as in japan 80% of the vehicles sold are automatics, there are a few exceptions of course and they mornally attract a premium price.
I had the same problem except that my wife refused to drive an automatic so I got a manual. I love it. Real responsive.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Im in the Middle East at the moment and im driving a Chevy Caprice Automatic.

it is dreadfull!!!

it never seems to be in the right gear unlike the forester. as far as automatic cars go Subaru seem to have got it right.

I cant think of another automatic that drives quite like it.

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,362 Posts
Prefer auto to avoid having to slip the clutch all the time in traffic. A lot of manual cars won't creep by simply engaging the clutch at idle speed.

Sometimes I drive a manual car, it's fun for five minutes, then I get fed up with it in traffic.

Performance figures usually give the manual an advantage, but in practice this involves abusing the car way beyond what a normal owner would do. Also, accelerating fast in a manual involves sickening pauses however rapidly you change gear, which is unpleasant for passengers.

Many autos are sluggish on take off due to high gearing, but the Subaru auto has a low first gear which makes it quick off the line. Also, being higher geared in top than the manual means it is no less economical. To pass something just kick down and go!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts