Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2010 Forester XT. 32k miles on it. Had it since 25k. Checked the fluid the other day and noticed it wasn't even on the dipstick. So I filled it up with the ATF we had in the garage... Which was most definitely not ATF-HP (Found out that's what it took after I already dumped 2-3 quarts in of regular super tech...I know i know)
Anyways I drove it with the Super tech crap for a couple days and then dropped the fluid in the pan and filled it back up with Royal purple MAX ATF. It still seems to shift firm tho almost like a manual....ish.. is that normal? I honestly can t remember how it shifted before I noticed the fluid was really low.

I'm wondering if I need to spend even more money now and get it all changed out with Subaru's ATF. They want like $15 a quart here in Alaska.

If its not normal for this car to shift firmly then what might the diagnosis be?

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5XT Sportshift
48 Posts
I've gone thru 3 different situations on my 07XT similar to what you've done:
1. 4L of Valvoline Maxlife ATF with the rest being genuine (but old) Subaru fluid. Shift is very firm and jerky.
2. Flushed the transmission with genuine Subaru fluid (used 12L). Shift is smooth as it should be. (but the fluid costs almost 3 times as much as the Valvoline here in Hong Kong)
3. Flushed the transmission with Valvoline Maxlife ATF (used 12L). Shift is slightly firmer than genuine fluid but still very smooth.

I'd say get 2 gallons of whatever you've already put in (RP MAX ATF in your case), then do the "drain and refill" twice with some driving (say several minutes and every gear used including reverse) between the drain. This should replace most of the fluid in the transmission.

I guess it's the "blend" of fluid that caused the problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the response. I think I'll probably just order a case of Subarus ATF. the Royal Purple here is around 12 a quart so I wouldnt be saving that much. plus I found a place online to order a case of 12 for around 90 shipped

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,713 Posts
First..did you check it running, hot and in park? Did you use the dipstick at the driver fender. Its almost not possible for it to be that low unless someone drained it by mistake and then put atf in the engine.

There are issues here and I would guess the Supertech dexron is the least.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep checked it after I got home from work. Bout a 20 mile drive and it was definitely the ATF. I've only had the car for about 7000 miles and it was in a major accident before I got it. Its a reconstruct title. I have 0 issues other than the transmission occasionally jerking

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. I had my battery unplugged overnight AMD I've been driving it for the past hour or so and it shifts much much better. Still slightly firm but maybe 10% of how it was before. I guess 10 mins and pressing on the brakes wasn't enough for a reset before. I'll continue to update as time goes by. Unless of course I forget

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update. It shifts better for sure. It is just a slight kick now in all gears. I'll run it for another week or so and see where its at from there. The plan is to eventually drain and fill with Subaru Atf-hp. Is there anyway to drain it all in one go without a machine?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,713 Posts
The plan is to eventually drain and fill with Subaru Atf-hp. Is there anyway to drain it all in one go without a machine?
There are any number of threads using the lines connecting with the radiator. I'm too lazy to look for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts