Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got bullied by some neo fascist subject on a local (subaru!) forum who posted the attached photograph in order to make his threats more believable.

I am no firearms expert but this seems like a cheap plastic or some of an airsoft imitation. It seems too "plastic mat" and lightweight.

I want your gun expertise/opinion on:

1. The type/model of the gun
2. Known armies using it
3. Authenticity/Imitation of this particular sample

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Well, if it's a real rifle - it's an M-16 (or AR-15). That's the primary rifle of the US Armed Forces for the past 40 years or so. Several other countries use them I believe but I'm not certain who they are. The matte plastic appearance is pretty much representative of the real thing, but this could be a fake, maybe not. I think the poor quality of the photo makes it impossible to say one way or the other if it's real.

I checked on google for what that t-shirt was about, found this: http://rieas.gr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=183&Itemid=39. So it's supposedly related to a Greek special forces team.

Someone's attempting to threaten you by posting this? Yeah, just go ahead and talk to the authorities - and the forum moderators while you're at it.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Well, if it's a real rifle - it's an M-16 (or AR-15). That's the primary rifle of the US Armed Forces for the past 40 years or so. Several other countries use them I believe but I'm not certain who they are. The matte plastic appearance is pretty much representative of the real thing, but this could be a fake, maybe not. I think the poor quality of the photo makes it impossible to say one way or the other if it's real.

I checked on google for what that t-shirt was about, found this: GREEK SPECIAL FORCES OUTLOOK. So it's supposedly related to a Greek special forces team.

Someone's attempting to threaten you by posting this? Yeah, just go ahead and talk to the authorities - and the forum moderators while you're at it.

It's the greek equivalent of the seals. However, I'm pretty sure they do not use the ar15/m16.

Its a weapon thats common with US gun enthusiasts, not sure about availability in other countries, but its probably one of the most common non-hunting weapons here. They do usually have that finish, but it could be a resin replica or something.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for your replies!
OYK is the equivalent of the SEALS here and belongs to the Greek Navy jurisdiction (I have been in the Navy myself - obligatory tour of duty here for males). I have been told that this has never been their official rifle.

I am asking for your help as you obviously know stuff about such devices in a civilized way.

The item in the photo seems too lightweight. I suppose the weight should cause a small deformation to the couch, shouldn't it?

(As about reporting to the authorities, I think I will not as a big percentage of neofascists here comes from the authorities - but this is another story...)

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Too funny - most SF guys I've met didn't feel the need to point out that they're SF. That community keeps its business to itself and doesn't use the expertise to bully random folks in public. With that type of attitude he wouldn't last long in any SF outfit worthy of the name.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, the guy is obviously not SF - I have been told by an SF indvidual that the blouse portrayed is not their official one but a commercial imitation.

My own Navy tour of duty gave me absolutely no gun training and that is why I cannot asses the riffle's weight and looks.
And the guns I came upon in the various units I was assigned did not look like this at all.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
699 Posts
Im in the Air Force and we fire "real M-16s" that looks pretty fake to me especially the hand grip around the barrel. Looks to short and very cheap plastic. Not sure what the gun laws are in greece. Are you even allowed to have a firearm of that caliber as a civilian? It looks like a fake M-4.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Im in the Air Force and we fire "real M-16s" that looks pretty fake to me especially the hand grip around the barrel. Looks to short and very cheap plastic. Not sure what the gun laws are in greece. Are you even allowed to have a firearm of that caliber as a civilian? It looks like a fake M-4.
I was thinking the same thing. Also the entire body looks like its just a single molded piece of plastic.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
..Not sure what the gun laws are in greece. ...
In Greece only hunting rifles are generally allowed as well as a limited range of types of guns/airguns for athletic activities.
An individual may obtain a private handgun after he formally establishes the need for it on a special situation on self-protection grounds.

Nevertheless, in some parts of the country (ps. island of Crete) there has always been a "gun culture" embedded in the local societies defying laws but generally not being used in general antisocial activities (except for their own "businesses").

After the collapse of the eastern block and the neighboring Albania in the late '90s it became relatively easy for anybody to acquire an illegal handgun or even a low quality AK47 for less than $500 as I have been told.
This is one of the reasons for the recent surge in violent crimes in Greece.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
Ar-15s do look like toys, but if that is one the barrel does look fake, my brother's is fluted. Either way I would report something like this, even if the guy is some 40 year old dork living in his mom's basement getting his jeers off trying to scare people over the interwebs...he should of at least researched the combination more first though. lol.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx one more time guys! but I have a feeling you take it too seriously.

I am not really worried and you can see why in the other photo he posted:
His mom's carpet looks very scary and this Christmas tree really vicious :icon_eek:
And most opinions I get tend towards toy - not gun..

Reporting this may actually make the matter serious given the law enforcing situation in Greece nowadays...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
That would be why this forum does not allow political, religious, racial type topics. We don't need one of our members getting their self or their family killed due to an extremist going to far with a immigration, presidential or race type topic.

If it went that far for the picture to be posted and threats made I don't think the mods stepped in soon enough.

As far as the rifle, From the pic it looks to be the real deal(or at least error on the side of caution). Basic AR15 with a 16" barrel, 6 position telescoping stock and folding for grip. Can be had in the States for about $1000-$1300USD with out much hassle.

bushmaster.com has several AR15 if you want to look through pics. Just keep in mind the AR15 is very customizable, almost limitless options.

As others have stated make a police report, the forum mods should have access to all the original thread posts in case any thing was deleted, edited, locked..... If nothing else I would want it on file, you never know what some people are capable of until it is too late. Don't under estimate any ones actions as a result of their beliefs.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
I got bullied by some neo fascist subject on a local (subaru!) forum who posted the attached photograph in order to make his threats more believable.
Thanks to the magic of the internet and PayPal, you can buy a shirt that makes you look like a member of every elite outfit imaginable.

Report the jerk. Keyboard commandos tend to wilt like last week's lettuce when the authorities show up for a chat.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That would be why this forum does not allow political, religious, racial type topics. We don't need one of our members getting their self or their family killed due to an extremist going to far with a immigration, presidential or race type topic.
I agree with this clear policy. Here, even threads closely related to politics always seem to stay in bounds and never slip to ugly situations or become really political requiring administrator intervention. Kudos to all you guys for this!

In the aforementioned greek forum the policy tends towards non political extensions but is a bit loose. And this semi-clear policy every now and then leads to ugly situations.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts